Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Vans vs Cars - which do you prefer

Hi RJC, That's a great reply. You call it like it is. Couldn't have summed it up better. The issues that are holding me back from getting a van are 1) vanity (no pun intended), 2) cost, 3) parking issues, and 4) reliability.

I can get past the vanity. I can find ways to deal with cost. I can even work around the parking as you say. It's the reliability that I'm concerned about. After all, why go through all this just to exchange one problem for another. Murphy's law says it will break down and when it does it will be at the worst possible time. Perhaps I am being too cynical. It does seem like people have had good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Hi RJC, That's a great reply. You call it like it is. Couldn't have summed it up better. The issues that are holding me back from getting a van are 1) vanity (no pun intended), 2) cost, 3) parking issues, and 4) reliability.

I can get past the vanity. I can find ways to deal with cost. I can even work around the parking as you say. It's the reliability that I'm concerned about. After all, why go through all this just to exchange one problem for another. Murphy's law says it will break down and when it does it will be at the worst possible time. Perhaps I am being too cynical. It does seem like people have had good luck.
    Since you have worked your way three quarters through your objectiona, reliability is an issue with any vehicle, and timing of an incident is always problematic, car or van. In thirty-five years of using wheelchair accessible vans, I've had three road-side problems that had nothing to do with the conversion, and probably 4 incidents with the power door/ramp/lift/kneel/features (I rarely use kneel in the minivan, because I use a power wheelchair). For 17 years, I used a manual chair and even with always using a van, I have shoulder issues. Those problems would only be double or triple compounded if I had done transfers, wheelchair break downs, and lifting. Get on with saving your shoulders and feeling freer to come and go without having to limit what you do and when you do it to help preserve your shoulders.

Keep us posted.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    In thirty-five years of using wheelchair accessible vans, I've had 4 incidents with the power door/ramp/lift/kneel/features.
    This is valuable data knowing that its 4 in 35 years vs 4 in 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Get on with saving your shoulders and feeling freer to come and go without having to limit what you do and when you do it to help preserve your shoulders.
    This is essentially the motivation - feel free to enter/exit vehicle without damaging my shoulders, which means I would do it much more often and have a better quality of life.

There remains the issue of lift/ramp selection. I hesitate to reward the industry that is exploiting us by obsoleting the better $5k option in order to force us into the inferior $20K option. Shame.

They are making them now smokey. I am gona look at one when there done with it. They have to redo the floor in the front and install a lift. They are a cargo van so you can get a interior put in it or just have it sprayed with foam if you wish. My old chevy cargo van I just used carpet and glued it to the sides and roof inside the van for insulation. Gave me more headroom as it was a stock van.
    Art

No Medicare will never pay for a van...(wish they would)...but they should pay for the making it handicap acc.
    Art

Best Set up for me

We have had minivans since I had to go to a wheelchair full time in 1999. Started out with Mercury Villagers with over 210k miles on our '96, I could still stand to transfer. Then we got a '99 Villager as the wife wanted the '96 for herself. I used it until Jan. 2015 when I could no longer stand and had to find a new van because no one made loading equipment for the Villagers.

We got a 2014 Chrysler T&C and had the Adapt Solutions XL seat and High Lift installed. With the Stow and Go option for the seats if we have another couple travel with us I can still have all 4 captains seats available plus the 3rd row bench as long as someone can stow my chair in the rear hatch. I love this setup, I can come and go as I please now and Toni no longer has to haul me to my appointments. I find I can load in the same parking space as doing a manual transfer into a car and my body does not take as much abuse. I still prefer using a handicapped space with the loading area on the drivers side so no one can park so close I have to wait for them to leave so I can get in.

Here is a video of how it works, I just did not want to drive from my chair on long trips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSGs70ZtCKc . I would highly recommend this setup to anyone. The only change I have made is that the installer just tied all the power seat switches to the front underside of the seat, I had a local shop take the side panel that was removed and cut it down to fit in the front of the seat and now it is easier to operate. I purchased a replacement side panel so I have it to put on if I ever put the unit in another van.

Jyd