Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Also type of car can make a big difference in strain to get in/out and wheelchair stowage. I know my Challenger is a ton easier to work with than my winter heap Crown Vic. Lifting the frame into Challenger is quite easier due to the superior body mechanics afforded with the room available with 2 doors. The Crown Vic is just terrible in comparison with 4 doors. Shoulder strain getting in and out of cars seem to be no more substantial, possibly less, than some of the transfers I do though out the day. But I use a long transfer board for car transfers to make things easier than super-crip no board transfers, safer too this way on questionable parking surfaces.

If you are looking for what might be an ideal solution to transportation...take a peek at the current-gen Ford Transit Connect long wheelbase version. Transfer similar to a car, nice ergos in the drivers seat, and you can roll/lift the chair assembled into the side door behind the drivers seat. Might be the speed record holder for ingress/egress for wheelchair users with enough practice. I was contemplating getting one, but I'm just too much of a gearhead to actually go though with that idea.

Driving from a wheelchair...scary thought to me. I like having body support in turns and such.

I agree on the type of car part. My other vehicle, a Wrangler, is a little more difficult than my truck only because you have a smaller door opening.

My old car, a Civic, was as easy as transferring inside the van I had (GMC Safari with a lift and 4 way power seat).

I know 2 people who use vans with drivers side power doors where they pull their entire chair inside. Very simple to do for them and no expense of modifying an entire van.

I don't know why anyone would drive from a manual wheelchair...can't imagine what would happen if one was in an acciident.

I'm a C6-7 quad and have zero shoulder issues from transfers. If you have limited function preventing transfers, the van route is better.