Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Vans vs Cars - which do you prefer

On the other hand, if I had a van right now, I'd go back to work. No way I can afford one though. 3yrs off work has caused finanical strain, even on long-term disability.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

yes very well thought out and executed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tsquared View Post
    Because a mazda5 is a "microvan" with sliding doors. Similar to the 3 in some features and drivetrain, but van vs sedan we're dealing with here.

This is how I transfer. I've changed a few things in the last 3 years since I did the video and I was taking my time here, but you get the idea: https://youtu.be/0KgyWxqC1Y0

Hi,
    Toyota Venza is the lowest SUV cross you can find and board transfer is much easier than to Ford Freestar I was using for 10 years.
    Trunk is deep and Wheelchair no need to disassemble. As I am C-6 quad and 6' 3" tall It was hard to find good leg-room vehicle.
    I was thinking to get Mazda 5 but couldn't fit with my legs - to make also room for my wheelchair to be pulled up behind.
    Not totally independent as I always need someone to throw my wheelchair to the trunk...
    Few more details on my Blog here:
    https://miracleofwalk.wordpress.com/...rashed/my-car/
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

Have only had van for two months now. Back to work and making money. I tried the ramp and was to difficult to get up. My wheel rings also hit ramp edges. The ramp does occupy the double doors. I like the fact that I can roll into van and do complete circle inside. Works good for me.

lift is more reliable imo. i'd say lift takes less space 43 inch platform length
    Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Does your van lift require less space than a van ramp? How reliable is one over the other?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

In the Honda Odyssey VMI conversion, the in floor ramp extends 48-1/2 inches when deployed, then you need about 50-55 inches to maneuver to line up a power chair in position at the bottom of the ramp. "Fuentejps" does your number include positioning the wheelchair? Yours is a full size van...what lift do you have?

My first van was a Ford Econoline 150. At that time (35 years ago) there was a lift called the Golden Boy. You accessed the ramp parallel to the van, and the lift rotated a quarter turn in to the van to allow you to back off the lift platform. It was a real space saver. Most parking spaces were much more generously sized than today to accommodate "land yachts" with wide doors. Often times, we didn't need a handicapped space because the rotary lift took up such a little bit of room. I've often wondered why this style of lift didn't catch on.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 11-27-2016 at 08:15 PM.

I have the Braun Swing Away lifts in my vans; best lift ever made, that's why they quit making them!

https://www.braunability.com/interna...ngaway-series/

vangator, that's just platform length
    Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    In the Honda Odyssey the in floor ramp extends 48-1/2 inches when deployed, then you need about 50-55 inches to maneuver to line up a power chair in position at the bottom of the ramp. "Fuentejps" does your number include positioning the wheelchair? Yours is a full size van...what lift do you have?

My first van was a Ford Econoline 150. At that time (35 years ago) there was a lift called the Golden Boy. You accessed the ramp parallel to the van, and the lift rotated a quarter turn in to the van to allow you to back off the lift platform. It was a real space saver. Most parking spaces were much more generously sized than today to accommodate "land yachts" with wide doors. Often times, we didn't need a handicapped space because the rotary lift took up such a little bit of room. I've often wondered why this style of lift didn't catch on.

All the best,
    GJ
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

We have had a full sized van conversion for years now. I have hated it from day one but it has the head clearance for Ry's power chair. I even named it vanstrocity for all the reasons discussed about parking, visibility(which is worse than parking), etc. He has recently transitioned to a manual chair and we thought, great we can use the car. This is worse. First, there is no way his current upper body strength could put his chair in the back seat. We all know that his chair is bigger than he needs (original script was measured when he still needed side leg supports). but it is actually easier to load him on the hydraulic lift into the van, he transfers to the back bench and I tie down the chair. In the car, I have to use the back seat to stash his foot plates, seat cushion and back-pack. The chair and wheels filled the trunk. It took longer (and when you are getting eaten up by bugs, or rained on or whatever, it matters), was killer on me doing the lifting of the chair (much more than 20#). We went back to the van and only use the care when we know parking is only available in a garage because those in downtown Norfolk do not accommodate the van due to the height. But that is only when he needs a pump refill. We use the van otherwise and I just am thankful that gas has gone down and I can get him to therapy and home for about $40 in gas per week.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

One of the best features of a van as opposed to a car is that you can be sheltered from foul weather relatively quickly.

If you ever have to travel to less than the safest areas you can zip into a van and lock up quicker also.