Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eating egg yolk is almost as bad as smoking when it comes to coronary artery disease

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Raw milk is dangerous. If you have a cow in your barn and control all aspects of getting the milk out of the cow and into your bowl of cheerios then sure, it is safe. However the mass production and distribution of raw milk is irresponsible and dangerous. As a libertarian I encourage people who believe raw milk is better for them to go for it before you have children, it will strengthen the gene pool.
    http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesFor.../ucm079516.htm
    If you have a cow in your barn and control all aspects of getting the milk out of the cow and into your bowl of cheerios then sure, it is safe.
    That is why most people who seek raw milk obtain it from smaller, reputable suppliers outside the industrialised farms.

However the mass production and distribution of raw milk is irresponsible and dangerous.
    Who is advocating for such?

Yes, hygiene is important, as is a healthy immune system. If you choose to believe that hoopla presented on that FDA link then go for it. But why bother with consuming commercial milk when it has had the 'harmful bacteria' killed off ? ( pasteurisation kills all bacteria below the temperature threshhold). AND then it is promoted as a 'beneficial health food'. ????
    You may as well use whitener (and that is a whole other discussion) or learn to go without.

Contrary to the frighteners that are given us at every opportunity, not all bacteria is bad. Besides, all things being equal, if your immune system is operating anywhere near balanced, the body can deal with most things, and does.
    IMO the processed milk product is a waste of money and is a conditioned want.
    All the legislation enacted will not protect you. Murders, robberies, crime of all sorts still happen despite such, as does contamination of food.
    Have you found a mouse tail or more in your mince pie or hamburger pattie lately.
    Maybe yes, maybe no but be assured, these contaminants are there at times as an obvious addition or well ground and mixed and you have likeley survived it without effect too. Or not, if only after a period of enforced fasting and/or auto colonic cleanse

Last edited by slow_runner; 12-27-2016 at 04:29 AM.

I don't drink milk (I do like cheese). From an evolutionary standpoint there is no need for mammals to consume milk after they are able to get sustenance on their own. In fact the reason so many people are "lactose intolerant" is consuming milk after you are an infant is a relatively new thing (on evolutionary timelines). ANY consumption of milk (be it raw or otherwise) is as you put it a "conditioned want".

Saying "all bacteria is not bad", which is true, then claiming the bacteria in milk is good without any backing evidence is a False Equivalence logical fallacy. I have found no raw mouse tails in my mince pie (wtf is a mince pie?) or hamburgers. However since I cook my meat and kill off any nasty bacteria of any mouse parts whilst the occasional mouse tail may be a bit offputting it is not dangerous, unlike raw milk where any sort of contaminate is in a perfect medium to grow and become life threatening. There is an allowable percentage of rat feces in commercial peanut butter, all made harmless by "evil" food processing that kills harmful bacteria.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    That is why most people who seek raw milk obtain it from smaller, reputable suppliers outside the industrialised farms.
    Yep, and yet without the benefit of pasteurization even well meaning (putting aside the fact that being able to sell raw milk is extremely profitable and attracts unsrcruplious people more than willing to take advantage of that fact) can make mistakes in handling that can cause serious problems. One delivery truck with a bad refrigeration unit and you are feeding your kid a bowel of
    salmonella flakes.

There is lots of bad stuff out there, high fructose corn syrup, trans fats, saturated fats, etc. Simply just eating 2000 calories a day of anything moderately nutritious and you will be doing better than most people in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

(KLD)

I've read that pasteurization doesn't kill off all the bacteria. So it's not "Dead Milk".

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    I'm in Texas, where, I'm happy to see, it's legal for me to buy raw milk. How to get myself TO the farm where it is legal for me to buy raw milk is problematic. Oh wait! One of my friends recently became an Uber driver. Maybe there's still hope.

Texas
    Raw milk sales are legal. Sales must be on the farm and can only be directly to the consumer. Farmers must obtain a Grade A Raw for Retail Milk Permit from the state Department of Health. Licensees can sell milk products such as raw cream and raw yogurt as well. There are currently 13 retail raw milk licensees: 11 selling raw goat milk and raw goat milk products, and three selling raw cow milk (Gramen Farm, Sand Creek Farms, and Stryk Farms)...

http://www.realmilk.com/state-updates
    Female, T9 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by lonecoaster View Post
    I've read that pasteurization doesn't kill off all the bacteria. So it's not "Dead Milk".
    The most common kind in the US doesn't which is why milk needs to be refrigerated. UHT milk can be stored at room temperature and I am pretty sure there are no living organism in it.

Either way milk is basically just sugar and fat, both still remain unchanged after pasteurization.

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    milk.bodyecology.com
    Got (the Right) Milk? Understanding the Milk Controversy

HERE ARE SOME FACTS ABOUT PASTEURIZED MILK:
    Completely changes the structure of the milk proteins (denaturization) into something far less than healthy.
    Alters milk's amino acids lysine and tyrosine, making the whole complex of proteins less available.
    Alters milk's mineral components, such as calcium, chlorine, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, and sulphur, as well as many trace minerals, making them less available.
    Promotes rancidity of unsaturated fatty acids and destruction of vitamins:
    Destroys part of the vitamin C found in raw milk, often by 50%.
    Additional vitamin loss usually up to 80%.
    Last edited by Vintage; 12-27-2016 at 10:41 PM.
    Female, T9 incomplete

If it is important to you, another consideration is whether the milk is from an A2 or A1 milk herd.

(wtf is a mince pie?)
    WTF???, was that an outburst?
    If you are unaware of the mince pie or its relatives (also, the pastie) then you are missing one of lifes' great pleasures.

The Aussie meat pie is a distant second cousin as their legislated meat content is way less as is their legal definition of 'meat'.
    Although there could be exceptions

Here is a link that may go some way to elaborating on the Kiwi meat pie.
    http://luckypeach.com/guides/the-mea...f-new-zealand/

If you get the chance, try a 'Dads Pie', they have a couple of outlets over your way.
    http://dadspies.co.nz/
    Or take a flight and enjoy the cuisine here

or try this lot in the U.S --- no tails in either.
    http://www.dubpies.com/

Saying "all bacteria is not bad", which is true, then claiming the bacteria in milk is good without any backing evidence is a False Equivalence logical fallacy.
    Does it require backing evidence to accept that nutritious food has beneficial bacteria?
    And that presents another question; what, that is presented as food, is nutritious?
    Last edited by slow_runner; 12-28-2016 at 03:23 AM.

Where I grew up they were called mince meat pies. My sister-in-law made some from venison one year that were incredible. I have thought of those pies many times since then. The "mince pies" we get in the states really have no meat in them and aren't good.
    C5/C6