Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abilities Expo - why I want to be rich

Abilities Expo - why I want to be rich

Just got in from the Abilities Expo. My partner is an angel, without her I never would have gone. We had planned for months to be there yesterday (Saturday) but I was too sick. This morning she said, do you want to go? If you feel alright we could make it.

We got there with just a couple of hours left in the expo and I went around as fast as I could. Then I fell in love!

When I was young I wanted to be rich so I could have motorcycles and cars and a great house. Now, I want a Permobil F3 Corpus with tilt, footrest, seat rise oh .. Homer Simpson drool.

I didn't realize until today that all the powerchairs I've had have been junk compared to Permobil. Wow. Seemed very high quality, great controls, totally quiet and even the actuators don't make a sound. Super comfortable too. With all the features I ended up liking it would probably be $20,000 out of pocket and I can't manage that but oh I know the girl I want.

While I was trying her out I kept thinking about all the things I could do if I had her. I used the seat rise and I was looking the rep right in the face. Wow that is a different view. I didn't even remember what that was like. All the adjustments, including power foot rest can be made while moving and they can be grouped or done separately and there's more. Super cool.

I wish I'd had time to see more, I missed a lot. I did meet Rachel in person. Hi Rachel, that was super cool.

Saw some other good stuff too. One vendor was supposed to be there and was the main reason I was there but they weren't. They were the vendor's list online and I talked to the folks at the company but not there. They aren't on the web page list now. I will talk to them and find out if I dreamed it all or if something changed.

I recommend the show very much to everyone who can go. I do wish I could have been there with more time but I was lucky to manage to come and see some.

Santa, this year I want my new powerchair.
    Last edited by grommet; 11-20-2016 at 11:07 PM.

I was planning to go to the San Jose expo too, but other stuff got in the way. I'm not in the market for a van. In my experience motor vehicles dominate these expos. I am in the market for a power chair, but I was able to get with a durable medical equipment supplier and a regional rep to sort of suit my needs and had more quality one on one time to try things out with my van etc., then they would have had time for at the expo. Problem is I am a very tall person and trying a chair that isn't built with me in mind has dangerous consequences to my positioning and compromises to my skin in a very short period of time. I am in awe of those of you who can sit in and try out a demo chair for 4-6 hours or more. Even after just 45 minutes, in a less than desirable chair, I had red hot spots that I am still dealing with.

All the best,
    GJ

Cha
    Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Just got in from the Abilities Expo. My partner is an angel, without her I never would have gone. We had planned for months to be there yesterday (Saturday) but I was too sick. This morning she said, do you want to go? If you feel alright we could make it.

We got there with just a couple of hours left in the expo and I went around as fast as I could. Then I fell in love!

When I was young I wanted to be rich so I could have motorcycles and cars and a great house. Now, I want a Permobil F3 Corpus with tilt, footrest, seat rise oh .. Homer Simpson drool.

I didn't realize until today that all the powerchairs I've had have been junk compared to Permobil. Wow. Seemed very high quality, great controls, totally quiet and even the actuators don't make a sound. Super comfortable too. With all the features I ended up liking it would probably be $20,000 out of pocket and I can't manage that but oh I know the girl I want.

While I was trying her out I kept thinking about all the things I could do if I had her. I used the seat rise and I was looking the rep right in the face. Wow that is a different view. I didn't even remember what that was like. All the adjustments, including power foot rest can be made while moving and they can be grouped or done separately and there's more. Super cool.

I wish I'd had time to see more, I missed a lot. I did meet Rachel in person. Hi Rachel, that was super cool.

Saw some other good stuff too. One vendor was supposed to be there and was the main reason I was there but they weren't. They were the vendor's list online and I talked to the folks at the company but not there. They aren't on the web page list now. I will talk to them and find out if I dreamed it all or if something changed.

I recommend the show very much to everyone who can go. I do wish I could have been there with more time but I was lucky to manage to come and see some.

I have an F3 and your 100% correct it's a game changer when it comes to mobility! It's smooth, comfortable and a strong work horse. Compared to say some other manufacturers that post they have cutting edge technology?

Upgraded to lager batteries group 24 and it's a perfect world.

What I don't understand how a chair you want would be $20,000 out of pocket.

Did you not talk to the Permobil people who should have given you test roll and captures your phone number and email and have a local DME contact you.

I have worked with quite a few people with both private, Medicare and have funded features from tilt, recline, elevated seating and lights, USB charger etc. no money out of pocket!

message me more then happy to help!

As long as it's been 4.5 years since your lasted funded chair you should be fine!

IT WAS SO NICE MEETING YOU TOO!! You might not believe me but that made my day too. I'm so glad you came. As far as a permobile chair? I thought most insurance companies covered those with a doctors perscription. The icing on the cake would be a physical therapist recommendation. You might be able to fight it!

Bummed out, I really wanted to go, but we were down that way just a few weeks ago.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I can't try any demo comfortably, I pay for not being in a chair fit for me and oh the very nice Permobil rep started adjusting the seating without asking, while I was in the chair. In a quiet panic I croaked, no, no, tilt me back. Boy did that hurt. I wish AB reps would understand - never make adjustments for a chair user without asking them. You do not know their condition and what it could mean. Seems basic to me.

That is tough you being tall and looking at chairs. I am small so most demos are right for my size. I think I learned long ago that if you are disabled it helps to be rich, and small. I am only the latter. Tall chair users do have it tough.

Really wish I could have seen so much more but as I said, I was lucky to make it all. Saturday was nasty. I need to think "glass half full" it's just that there is so much neat stuff at the Expos. Oh and I only saw a few vehicles, the rest were cushions, tons of manual chairs and a good selection of powerchairs. Also all sorts of 'disability accessories' being hawked. Some good, some lousy. Oh, and cath supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Cha

I have an F3 and your 100% correct it's a game changer when it comes to mobility! It's smooth, comfortable and a strong work horse. Compared to say some other manufacturers that post they have cutting edge technology?

Upgraded to lager batteries group 24 and it's a perfect world.

What I don't understand how a chair you want would be $20,000 out of pocket.

Did you not talk to the Permobil people who should have given you test roll and captures your phone number and email and have a local DME contact you.

I have worked with quite a few people with both private, Medicare and have funded features from tilt, recline, elevated seating and lights, USB charger etc. no money out of pocket!

message me more then happy to help!

As long as it's been 4.5 years since your lasted funded chair you should be fine!

I am very jealous but happy you have the F3. I say out of pocket because my insurance is lousy. Used to be good but some money saving plan seems to have been enacted a few years ago and the last chair they came close to offering me was some brand I have never heard of and that is saying something. It was the worst kind of junk. Years ago my insurance paid for top of the line. In 2000 they paid $13,341 for my then Quickie S626 with tilt-in-space and other stuff. Then things went down hill. My current chair is from 2005. I am due but the process is really unfriendly. It didn't used to be this way. Every five years I just picked what I wanted and got it, no problem. I guess I was lucky.

So I have been going out of pocket for everything because I can't take the soul breaking of the insurance process. So if I get the Permobil it's going to be all my money and I haven't any idea how I can get that much but for now I will just focus on how much I want it and who knows what can happen. I've managed a lot of stuff that way. Definitely why I want to be rich. Oh I want your chair :-) Glad to hear it's working out for you and that you went with Group 24's. The website says 12miles on a charge. That seems awfully low to me. What has your mileage experience been like?

Quote Originally Posted by ECUrach85 View Post
    IT WAS SO NICE MEETING YOU TOO!! You might not believe me but that made my day too. I'm so glad you came. As far as a permobile chair? I thought most insurance companies covered those with a doctors perscription. The icing on the cake would be a physical therapist recommendation. You might be able to fight it!

Maybe I can fight for it. I find a lot of things become possible if I give up thinking about how I can't do it and just start doing it anyway. It's a kind of blind faith.

Thank you for saying you were glad to see me. I had so much more I wanted to talk to you about but I had so little time. I wanted to thank you for other posts you made on Facebook, stuff I have talked to other people about. Other things too. Actually on the drive home from the show I was complaining a little about what I missed and my girlfriend said, "Yeah, but you met Rachel." :-)

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Bummed out, I really wanted to go, but we were down that way just a few weeks ago.

I would have love to have met you. Darn if I had known you were in the area. I wonder if there was a way people could mention when they are going to be visiting a place they could tell other CC'ers who are local and might want to meet. I actually thought about that years ago, having a local contact when you travel just in case you need help with a breakdown or supplies or whatever. I've got lots of tool and supplies. Years ago I gave a wheel to a fellow traveling from Israel. His wife had left one wheel at a rest stop and he was trapped in the hotel. It was awesome being able to help.

Sorry you missed the show. So many great options to learn about but also things to lust for.

I am very jealous but happy you have the F3. I say out of pocket because my insurance is lousy. Used to be good but some money saving plan seems to have been enacted a few years ago and the last chair they came close to offering me was some brand I have never heard of and that is saying something. It was the worst kind of junk. Years ago my insurance paid for top of the line. In 2000 they paid $13,341 for my then Quickie S626 with tilt-in-space and other stuff. Then things went down hill. My current chair is from 2005. I am due but the process is really unfriendly. It didn't used to be this way. Every five years I just picked what I wanted and got it, no problem. I guess I was lucky.

So I have been going out of pocket for everything because I can't take the soul breaking of the insurance process. So if I get the Permobil it's going to be all my money and I haven't any idea how I can get that much but for now I will just focus on how much I want it and who knows what can happen. I've managed a lot of stuff that way. Definitely why I want to be rich. Oh I want your chair :-) Glad to hear it's working out for you and that you went with Group 24's. The website says 12miles on a charge. That seems awfully low to me. What has your mileage experience been like?
    No dont be jealous get one and lets roll! Sometimes with the DME reps they plant the negative "chairs are not being funded, we cant get approval etc"That puts us as feeling rejected and our orders are not going to get funded.

Also if you have employee insurance you can talk to your HR there is a insurance liaison that can get funding approved.

This happen to me I got declined and when I went to my employer they sent me to someone in HR that was able to get the order approved.

She told me its on a case by case basis.

I would work with the DME your insurances is with and go through the process and see how it goes.

I was a long time Pride user and there chairs have just gotten terrible so made the switch to Permobil m300 then to a F3 never looking back Permobil is the brand!

Come on you can do it!

Do you ever go to LA Expo in March? I think its even bigger... we go its amazing for networking!