Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intrathecal Drug Delivery Pump for Pain Control

The batteries lasted six years. I'm only on my fourth one because I had an infection at the pump site on my second one and had to replace it..
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    I had an epidural morphine test injection of 1.5 mg once to see if it would help reduce my pains. All it did was make everything above my injury level (high C-5) itch.
    That goes away after a while and everything gets better. I had the same problems at first but now I can manage and it's totally worth it
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Cool thanks Rybread!

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    That goes away after a while and everything gets better. I had the same problems at first but now I can manage and it's totally worth it
    I'm glad the itch would go away, but I had no pain relief at all from the morphine. And my pains are 30 years worse now than at the time of that test.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Medtronic pumps are used a lot in The UK to deliver a combination of drugs to relieve pain. As SCI's we kinda think of muscle spasm only. They seem to be very effective for a lot of people.

Do look carefully at the side effects though!!

The doctor also suggested it to me, but being afraid of the lumbar puncture to test it, I've put it off.
    But now the pain has gotten crazy again I figure that short amount of pain is worth it if it might stop the pain.
    I've had two lumbar punctures for a myelograph. Is this the same? Painful? Hoping this will help before I go completely crazy.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

re Test for the pump, I've had a couple. Very uncomfortable, not horrid was my take. I do have a Medtronics pump. On my second, needed the larger one. No pain control, helps manage the severe spasms. Baclofen, Clonidine, and Midazolam (Versed) -ket

how did the people getting the pumps make out? I also wonder what your oral dose regiment was?
    cauda equina

how did the people getting the pumps make out? I also wonder what your oral dose regiment was?
    I too am a candidate for a pump,but i feel i am being forced into it, i know that simple oral breakthrough meds would work on my pain,but the odc refuses to prescribe me any opioids for pain relief. I am on methadone,gabapentin,lyrica, and tramadol for BT pain.
    The IME approved the pump trial , but warned me about rushing into having the pump implanted. I am being forced in. If a doctor found me non-complient i would think they would have to tell me correct? I have never been told i was non-complient
    cauda equina

Having a pump is serious business so don't be forced into it. My physiatrist threatened NOT to do it unless he was convinced that I was bought into it. I very honestly said I hated the idea of surgery plus the ongoing risk of something going wrong but felt I needed it so did want it. We went ahead and I do hate it but know I had no choice as nothing helped my horrible spasticity and the pump does. If you're comfortable with and find efficacy w few or no side effects from the orals, I'd switch docs and use orals. I'm hoping for a new oral or external stim to come out before my first battery goes.

Now, if I might add a question to your thread, what do people mean by "pain"? Both of my legs feel like: remember when you'd have a leg fall asleep but you'd ignore it instead of stretching it out immediately so then it would get to that really crazy tingling/burning sensation? I find it hard to call that pain but it interferes w my ability to relax, think, do things. Is that "central pain" and I'd love pump remedies. So far, oral low dose naltrexone and low dose amitriptyline, marijuana, NSAIDs haven't worked. I hate to go full dose cymbalta, lyrica or opiates.