Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sink you can actually pull all the way under?

Sink you can actually pull all the way under?

All of the older threads about this are missing current links to all the pictures people have posted over the years. I'm looking for a shallow mounted residential sink that you can literally pull all the way underneath in a chair. I'm not interested in sinks with the drain in the back and a recessed slanted wall below the sink that will still hit my knees. Ideally, I would like to see available options for the bathroom, as well as a larger double kitchen sink. Obviously they will have sit more on top of the counter instead of being recessed down into it. I've seen these before, just having a hard time finding specifics. Any info is appreciated.

My parents installed a nice oval wall-mounted sink when they remodeled the bathroom to make it accessible for my mother. There are a number of options for these types of sinks that either have no trap under the sink, or where the trap is right next to the wall. Keep in mind that you may need to rip open the wall to put in extra studs to make a wall mounted sink really safe (where you can put some weight on it if needed to maintain balance and lean forward to spit). They also installed a faucet that had a hose spray which made it really easy to use this same sink for hair washing. Try doing a Google Image search for "ADA bathroom sinks" and you will find a number of options.

This one is very similar to the one they had, and the trap was designed to fit easily between her knees when pulled all the way forward underneath. Of course we made sure it was insulated.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Alfi-White-...erflow/4619450

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 11-17-2016 at 09:15 PM.

This is how we solved the problem of getting under the sink. No need to reinforce studs in the wall because the sink projects out of the granite counter top and is supported by the counter top structure. Lots of counter space and ample leg/knee room and no exposed pipes. You wouldn't have to use granite. This could be built into any solid surface counter top material.

The sink is a Kohler product.

All the best,
    GJ
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by gjnl; 11-18-2016 at 12:33 AM.

This sink is great in that regard. A couple of observations though:
    The faucet is too low
    because it is so flat it tends to develop mineral stains because it stays a little wet when drained.
    But it is completely accessible, up to my tummy.
    I sought this sink out because one of the satisfying thing at rehab (Kessler) was to just roll up to the sink in my room and luxuriate in the feeling of warm water running on my hands and forearms.
    Then I experienced all the real world sinks that were too high, that made water run down my arms to drip from my elbows, and that I couldn't get close to.
    Last edited by pfcs49; 11-18-2016 at 12:09 PM.

Here's some pics from my bathroom. The sink is Duravit, and is secure enough for me to use it to lift myself up. Been living here a month and it's great.
    Last edited by christopher; 11-18-2016 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Brand

very nice

Here's the sink I made for my wife. I used a bar faucet and mounted it near the front, which makes it a lot easier to reach. The supply lines are held up high with cable ties.

Lavaory Clearances

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    All of the older threads about this are missing current links to all the pictures people have posted over the years. I'm looking for a shallow mounted residential sink that you can literally pull all the way underneath in a chair. I'm not interested in sinks with the drain in the back and a recessed slanted wall below the sink that will still hit my knees. Ideally, I would like to see available options for the bathroom, as well as a larger double kitchen sink. Obviously they will have sit more on top of the counter instead of being recessed down into it. I've seen these before, just having a hard time finding specifics. Any info is appreciated.
    Here's a picture from ADAAG of lavatory clearances. Top of counter top is 34". Bottom of sink is 27". Bottom edge of reflective mirror is 40".

I'll post pictures of my shower room sink and kitchen three bowl sink later.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Roll under sink

I had trouble pasting the picture. Attached is my vanity found on wayfair.com.

See if this is better.

(KLD)