Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SmartDrive Improvements?

I recently called MaxMobility and they said you can send an MX2 in to be upgraded for $425. I'm probably going to do this since I have trouble getting my MX2 to go sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by WC_Sage View Post
    pete4sake,

Max-Mobility's official statement - today - is that the new MX2+ controller will not operate older Smart Drives.
    Incidentally, there are some additional MX2+ details (not found on the manufacturer's website) on websites other than the manufacturer's website.
    WC, what websites provide more information about the SmartDrive MX 2+? I am disappointed the smart phone app does not indicate how much battery life is left on the device. Thank you.

Will be looking at results of people that do the upgrade to see if worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by andywu97 View Post
    I recently called MaxMobility and they said you can send an MX2 in to be upgraded for $425. I'm probably going to do this since I have trouble getting my MX2 to go sometimes.

smokey,

Regarding "... what websites ..." -
    The wristband controller's display and the new no-push-required go mode (when compared to the former MX2) are; presently, not referenced on the manufacturer's site but were referenced here.

Thx WC, But from the Max Mobility website it says "NEW MX2+: Double-tap to start ramping up the speed, tap to coast at your current speed and then double-tap brake to stop. A game-changing operation giving weaker pushers the power to activate the motor at the tap of the wrist".

I don't get it....how do you even get the drive unit to engage? I called Max Mobility and customer service didn't know so they passed me off to tech support. I sat there, grew a beard, wrote an opera and then hung up. There are not any videos out yet to show and they aren't very helpful on the phone. Kind of surprised.

smokey,
    Regarding "... how do you even get the drive unit to engage?" - double-tapping the wristband controller can make the MX2+ go - no push required. In other words, the wheelchair does not need to be moving to engage the MX2+. Note that the controller software is still being tweaked and is scheduled to be finalized later this week.

I started using MX2 just last summer and actually quite get used to it. I checked with the vendor regarding upgrading to MX2+ and they ask for $425 plus I need to ship them the unit (i.e. a couple of weeks at least without drive). Do you think the new capabilities of MX2+ justify the price (I paid $500 of copay after insurance for MX2)?

Max Mobility has put out a new video out there to show the new tapping commands for the SmartDrive MX2+.

http://www.max-mobility.com/smartdri...luspushtracker

Apparently you tap twice to start the unit. It increases speed then you tap once to cruise at your desired speed. Then you tap twice to disengage the motor and stop. It seems as though you don't even have to push it all you simply tap to go and stop. I would like to have some cardio vascular benefit so I guess that could be achieved by just pushing around as much as possible without turning the unit on until you get fatigued. There is also some information that comes on to your smart phone but one thing I would like to have seen would be an indicator on your smart phone showing how much battery power you had left. I am scheduled to get this new unit in a couple of days and I will provide you guys with a more detailed assessment of the MX2+.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    Max Mobility has put out a new video out there to show the new tapping commands for the SmartDrive MX2+.

http://www.max-mobility.com/smartdri...luspushtracker...
    Alternatively they added a real adjustable speed thumb throttle option.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

My son has, quite unexpectedly, been funded for a new SmartDrive, so I thought I'd better find out how it works! I found these videos which I don't think have been linked on CC previously, but give a good explanation of how the different versions/modes function. (The videos are at the bottom of the linked page).

http://www.seatingdynamics.com.au/21...racker%20.aspx

Hopefully Australian videos work elsewhere in the world!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.