Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SmartDrive Improvements?

SmartDrive Improvements?

At the Sept. 2016 Abilities Expo in Boston I "heard" there will be some new improvements or upgrades to the SmartDrive push assist device in January 2017. Anybody hear or know anything?

Thanks.

Call them. They might tell you. This company's track record is like no other when it comes to customer relations. Announcing an upcoming upgrade may hurt current sales, but Mark the owner is truly a nice guy. And no, I am not now even using my Smartdrive.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I did email them and they said "they are continually working on improvements to the SmartDrive". No specifics though. Why don't you use yours anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    I did email them and they said "they are continually working on improvements to the SmartDrive". No specifics though. Why don't you use yours anymore?
    If you called, you could pin them down politely asking if the rumor about Jan is true or not because you are about to spring for a new one.

As for my use,...it's a long story, I'll condense. I picked up a second one off Craigs and modified it removing the pc board and setting the battery aside, purchasing another lighter one. Then I added off the shelf e-bike controls such as on/off switch and a thumb speed control. Those and the battery are permanently mounted to my three wheel wheelchair. No more pushing on the handrims or stalling. Just turn it on and go. Steering is by slowing down and light rim hand brake on one side. It's been great. The only issue is extreme caution at startup as acceleration can be overwhelming.

So why stop? My condition is a degenerative one. When I started on CC I could self propel a chair with my feet and did not need a foot rest. Now my legs need a footrest and I cannot use that three wheeled chair as is. The way it's setup with the freewheel type caster and my long legs, I haven't figured a footrest method for it that I like. Sorry you asked yet?

In the interim I took up that offer here for the Iglide. It's probably too heavy for most uses without a lift, but doggone that chair is sweet. Did you try the Tailwind (Iglide)? I do need to fix up a better battery for this one somehow. I wish I had an old dead battery for one. I need an empty battery case for the connection and hanger.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Someone on eBay is selling a new MX2 SmartDrive for $5,000.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/smart-drive-...AAAOSwnbZYGQNc

Is the $4,000 one on ebay still there too?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smartdrive-P...3D282241295001

I know Fuentes uses 1 but I was a afraid of putting on and off I went wth emotion trying them out there are quiet a few of them from 1300 up how heavy and how do they work

smoke, look at the alber setup. heres a quad vid, he preferred them.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thanks Fu. That guy did a nice review of the Twion. Gee, that's a really a stupid name for such a nice product. Those power assist wheels look very cool and seem to perform great. I do like the smartphone features it utilizes and those magnetic charge cables are clever. But each wheel weighs 13lbs. and they only have a 24" wheel right now. Plus it requires pneumatic tires. I am currently running 25" Spinergy LX wheels with solid rubber SHOX tires, Q-Grip hand rims and I'm extremely happy with the setup. I have tried the SmartDrive twice at the Abilities Expo the past two years and I think it would suit my needs just fine. I'm always on the lookout for new products and thanks for the great information.

NO PROB SMOKE. I USE HIS REVIEW BECAUSE HE HAD SMARTDRIVE FIRST. FOR ME THE MX2 IS A GOOD FIT

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    Thanks Fu. That guy did a nice review of the Twion. Gee, that's a really a stupid name for such a nice product. Those power assist wheels look very cool and seem to perform great. I do like the smartphone features it utilizes and those magnetic charge cables are clever. But each wheel weighs 13lbs. and they only have a 24" wheel right now. Plus it requires pneumatic tires. I am currently running 25" Spinergy LX wheels with solid rubber SHOX tires, Q-Grip hand rims and I'm extremely happy with the setup. I have tried the SmartDrive twice at the Abilities Expo the past two years and I think it would suit my needs just fine. I'm always on the lookout for new products and thanks for the great information.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer