Thread: Stomach muscles return??

Stomach muscles return??

I was wondering if anyone with TM has gotten return back in their stomach muscles? I've been noticing a that when I move around that there is a restricting feeling in my stomach. Like someone is tightening a gurdle in a way. It also happens when I pull my legs up or just move anything in general from my stomach down. I'm a 10 year high para and have been noticing for about a year that when I squeeze my stomach muscles I feel tingling. The sensation is stronger now and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
    It is not how we fall that defines us..
    It is how we rise.

I did not have your experience or similar to it. I am incomplete and in my experience tingling is good and where there is tingling there is return.

It's crazy because my doctor says its involuntary spasms. But this is the thing, my paralysis starts right under my chest, bra strap level. I've been getting better balance gradually, I can tell a difference even though it's a little at a time. This is different, I can focus on tightening a specific spot and it will contract and tingle in that area. That's not involuntary, my legs are, they jerk on their own. So I'm going to continue to assume I'm not mistaken and focus on strengthening those muscles. I'm considering e-stemming that area. I was just hoping someone here has gotten some return and could share their experience.
    It is how we rise.

Shana, my original diagnosis was between TM and MS - the neurologist eventually settled on MS as the main issue, but she said that she could not rule out my having TM as well. Anyway, I think what you might be experiencing is not so much return, as a symptom that can develop with both TM and MS - it is often called the "MS hug" because it's very common with MS. It's a periodic girdle-like squeezing of the upper abdominal muscles that is due to nerve damage. The hug can range from mild to severe: it can feel like a mild contraction, or it can cause pain and a feeling that you cannot breathe. From what you describe, it sounds like your doctor's diagnosis of involuntary muscle spasms is in keeping with the MS hug, which is an involuntary response to nerve damage. But I doubt there would be any contraindication to your strengthening you core muscles if you can, provided you're VERY careful not to twist your spine and risk herniating a thoracic disc.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Thanks, I'm just gonna be me and see what happens. When anything new comes along I research it and move on. I've learned this life is easier if I go with the flow..lol
    It is how we rise.

I have PPMS and pretty much have the "hug" constantly. I've been having noticeable results from Ultra High Dose Biotin and been working out with renewed vigor. I have definitely regained core strength and function. The tingling remains though it is merely a sensation more than an issue. I applaud your attitude of just being you.