Thread: Worried about burnout / respite care

Worried about burnout / respite care

my wife has a lot going on..she works full time, has 2 kids (one ofthem a newborn) and does a lot of caregiving tasks for me. Even just coordinating nursing care and figuring outwho's going to be with me at what time is its own job.

she's beendoing this for a long time, but i always wonder....how long can this last before she....i don't know...has a nervous breakdown or somethig. does anyone worry about this. last year we were homeschooling our son for kindergarten for various reasons... we threw ourselves into it, i was doing the reading and math,shewas doing science and handwriting and at one point she just snapped and was like "I CANT F*** takethis anymore, he needs to go to school"

so now hes in school...he's doing great, it's working outwell. ijust wonder if caregiving eventually will be like the homeschooling,biting off more than she can chew and then one day "I CANT DO THIS ANYMORE"

she hasnt said that...i guess i just worry.

nowthat i have a trach,and needmore assistance breathing care gets more intense and we have talked about occasionally using respite care a s a way to gve her a break. i dont know...maybe this is just me being irrational, or overly melancholic and looking at every possible worst case scenario, but i cant help but worry that i'll go to the facility for a few days and she'll realize how amazing it is to NOT bea caregiver and wont want to go back

Can you afford or do you have funding for some part-time attendant care? This would allow you to give your wife a break from being your 24/7 caregiver, and just be your wife. It could allow her to use that time for her own R&R...go out for lunch with friends (who she may have not seen for some time), play tennis, go to a movie, or just take an uninterupted bath or nap. I would strongly recommend that if you can afford it, that you do that for a long term basis, not just a temporary respite. Also, you may want to find out if there is a caregiver support group or program in your area that she might participate in so she can talk with others who bear this burden and use this as one strategy to prevent burn-out.

(KLD)