Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Switching between leg bags and night bags

Blog Entries
    I have experienced only nightmares with Edgepark, usually with numerous phone calls and a month passing before I get anything I need. If there is a problem, you will not know until you call them and wait on hold. They always say they called me, and I confirm the phone number, by you can believe this only so many times.

Can anyone suggest a better urinary supply company?

I'm satisfied with Wilmington Medical Supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    I have experienced only nightmares with Edgepark, usually with numerous phone calls and a month passing before I get anything I need. If there is a problem, you will not know until you call them and wait on hold. They always say they called me, and I confirm the phone number, by you can believe this only so many times.
    Totally agree with you! Medicare requires that an extension tube with connector is added at no charge to the leg bag order. Their accounting department invariably misses this and has to recode, but their oversights always delay the order shipment date. The original poster doesn't seem to have a choice of vendors it seems this is the vendor of choice for the insurance company. If you use Edgepark be aware you will have to manage them from the beginning of an order until it is delivered to you. Nothing is automatic for them. Don't expect to set things up with them and have supplies delivered every month, without a hitch.

All the best,
    GJ

I use the BioFlo active valve. It makes it extremely easy to switch between day and night bags while maintaining a semi-closed system. My urologist has me irrigate my bladder twice a day so this makes it very easy to do that.

They send out free samples and it has been approved through my insurance. http://www.bioflo.us/

Also I saw in another thread you were contemplating using a flip flow valve to periodically drain your bladder and they have a option for this as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    C5 as of 6-13- 2010

How often do you need to replace the Urocare Night Drain Bottle? I wasn't aware such a thing existed. I would be interested in the 4000ml model, as I'm always afraid of over-filling my night bag (2000ml)

Also, how do you empty it bed side if needed?

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    How often do you need to replace the Urocare Night Drain Bottle? I wasn't aware such a thing existed. I would be interested in the 4000ml model, as I'm always afraid of over-filling my night bag (2000ml)

Also, how do you empty it bed side if needed?
    I believe the Urocare night drain bottle only comes in a 4000 liter capacity, at least that is all I've every used.

You probably never have to change the bottle, as long as you clean it with a bleach solution once a day. The top, red valve, and clear tubing with the barbed fitting might need to be changed more often and can be purchased separately. They probably need to be changed once a year.

I sit the bottle in a plastic shoe box. Sometimes you can get leakage around the fitting in which the red valve sits. Just protection for floors and floor coverings.

My wife is my caregiver. She plugs the catheter, removes the leg bag and drain bottle, empties and cleans the bottle and bag and uses the clean bag when I get dressed.

All the best,
    GJ

I purchase a clear plastic tapered tip bottle with attached cap at Wal-mart, same type you see in a restaurant, $.99 fill it with bleach, it easily fits into the drainage bag tubing and can be cleaned easily, I use a couple Oz of bleach, add more tap water and shake bag till it foams. I clean my leg bag every evening and night bag in morning, rinsing each again before use. I change bags twice a month and have gone years without an infection, and rarely get infections.

I have an external cath and use latex leg bags and night drain bags. I fill a pump bottle (my current is a large shampoo bottle from costco) with vinegar. After draining, rinsing, and draining a bag, I hold its opening to the pump outlet and give it a few pumps of vinegar (8 pumps for my bottle). With the night drain bag, I just leave it at that, though I don't stow the drain tube, so the vinegar can settle down into the tube. That bag sits with the vinegar all day, until I need it at bedtime. I just use the bag as is, with the vinegar inside. With the leg bag, I half-fill it with water, then let it soak in the vinegar solution while I do my bowel program. Then I drain in and leave it hanging with the drain open while I shower. Then I close the drain and get dressed.

I change night bags about every 3-4 weeks, when it starts looking too discolored. I change leg bags after about 3 months, when the latex starts to decay. I've been doing this approximate method for 25+ years.
    C-6/7 incomplete

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County
    Thank you so much for all your replies and product information. When I had the SP catheter surgery on Weds, my doc told me that she found out that as long as I was being seen by a home health nurse, I would have to get supplies thru her/them. But a good thing about being in the hospital and out of my wheelchair for those 2 days is the tiny skin tear I had finally healed, so I will likely be discharged from home health nursing this Weds. So the information about EDGEPARK is going to come in handy.

The shampoo bottle idea is great. Is that a hand pump type bottle or squeeze bottle? If I run something through the dishwasher a couple of times (by itself with nothing else that has food on it) would that sterilize something well enough to use with my catheter supplies?

I asked my doc about cleaning methods and she really has no recommendation for me. She said her patients clean their stuff many different ways and said that some of them never even clean their bags!!!! Gross!!

When I finally get the appropriate supplies I am going to try the method of leaving the leg bag on at night and attaching the night bag to it every evening. This seems like the easiest and most convenient way to deal.

The hospital sent me home with a leg bag which I did not use, that could not accommodate extension tubing either. It would make life so much easier for us if the medical community would agree on one methodology. But again, I left rehab in June and they didn't even tell me how to clean and care for the leg and night bags at all.

In the meantime, the 10 or so staples in my belly from the SP catheter are freaking me out. I was going to change the sheets on my bed but changed my mind for fear that I may pop one. Same for transferring to my shower bench and getting in my car to go run some errands. They didn't include any care of the incision in my discharge paperwork!!! I Googled and it said nothing about strenuous activity, only cleaning, changing dressings and things to watch out for.

Also, oddly, if I sleep on my side it seems to drain very slowly or get clogged. If I roll onto my belly it drains very well, but I'm afraid to stay on my belly for too long so I avoid it. Doc did say it was ok as long as tubing wasn't kinked etc.

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County
    Quote Originally Posted by Quadcessible View Post
    I purchase a clear plastic tapered tip bottle with attached cap at Wal-mart, same type you see in a restaurant, $.99 fill it with bleach, it easily fits into the drainage bag tubing and can be cleaned easily, I use a couple Oz of bleach, add more tap water and shake bag till it foams. I clean my leg bag every evening and night bag in morning, rinsing each again before use. I change bags twice a month and have gone years without an infection, and rarely get infections.
    Like a condiment/ketchup/mustard bottle? Genius!