Thread: Curved STAIR LIFT BRAND RECOMMENDATIONS & Info

Curved STAIR LIFT BRAND RECOMMENDATIONS & Info

I am looking for a stair lift with a 90 degree landing bend for my small house. Curiousg what brands you liked and didn't. I have talked to a number of DMEs but they just gave me push sales crap and no real information. Also, has anyone had experience buying a used Stair Lift from Ebay? Thanks Doug

Quote Originally Posted by ThinMan View Post
    I am looking for a stair lift with a 90 degree landing bend for my small house. Curiousg what brands you liked and didn't. I have talked to a number of DMEs but they just gave me push sales crap and no real information. Also, has anyone had experience buying a used Stair Lift from Ebay? Thanks Doug
    Do you need to go around a corner? The chairs themselves have levers which enable them to rotate 90 degrees. I bought two used ones for my house off Craigslist. One is an Acorn, the other is a Bruno, both work fine. The things to watch for is to be sure to get enough length and expect having to cut if necessary. Don't try to install without instructions, although it is not difficult. The other thing is to be absolutely sure to get the battery operated type, not the older cable versions.
    Here is a current sample of how cheap these go for albeit a different brand:
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/for/5861109701.html
    Last edited by nonoise; 11-05-2016 at 09:49 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

nonoise- Thanks for the reply. Am going up and down 2nd floor stairs on my butt and (until I saw the price) thought a stair climber sounded like the stairway to heaven. See that eBay has plenty of used ones for sale, but don't know if there is a way to shorten them or, in the case of a curved 90 degree stairway, a way to alter the vertical angle from the landing. Maybe two straight runs instead of a curve is the way to go. Did you have to shorten yours? If so, how did you do that? If anyone has bought a used stair climber, please tell me your experience.
    Thanks again
    ThinMan

...or, in the case of a curved 90 degree stairway, a way to alter the vertical angle from the landing...
    I do not understand that question.
    The rise and tread width, 7-11, 6-12 inches are of little consequence as the chair track brackets adjust to changes in slope. I have two lifts I bought off Craigslift, both were too long. One the track just extends four inches too far up, no problem. I set the stops four inches lower. I could have and probably should have cut that rail. The other one I did cut off about four feet as it's only used for two steps. But I need a lift for those two steps.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Guess I said that wrong. My stair way has four stairs, a landing with a 90 degree turn (l -shaped stairway) and then up 8 more stairs to the top. . I thought about two short straight runs but decided against that. I saw a lot of curved stairlifts for sale on eBay but they seemed too custom to make work. Is that true? I got prices for a curved stair lift from from Bruno and Stannah but was hoping to pay less. Any ideas or experience would be appreciated. I really need to do this cheaper if I can.

Guess I said that wrong. My stair way has four stairs, a landing with a 90 degree turn (l -shaped stairway) and then up 8 more stairs to the top. . I thought about two short straight runs but decided against that. I saw a lot of curved stairlifts for sale on eBay but they seemed too custom to make work. Is that true? I got prices for a curved stair lift from from Bruno and Stannah but was hoping to pay less. Any ideas or experience would be appreciated. I really need to do this cheaper if I can.
    Get two of the same brand with *matching style* track that you can mate together for your needs. You probably will have to cut some off both the top end and at the landing. In fact, I'd expect it. Actually you start at the bottom and cut the tops, but you will figure that out. You'll get or download instructions. Make sure what you select has the same left or right hand corner turn as your home.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Here is a current sample of how cheap these go for albeit a different brand:
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/for/5861109701.html
    Post got removed, and I looked on ebay, seems used goes for around 1-1.5K? Just to make sure I'm not looking at some 'for sale museum' pieces to figure what this stuff costs...what is the real sale price range for used lifts?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Post got removed, and I looked on ebay, seems used goes for around 1-1.5K? Just to make sure I'm not looking at some 'for sale museum' pieces to figure what this stuff costs...what is the real sale price range for used lifts?
    Here is one for $200. Look quickly. Bargains do not last. http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/for/5885078494.html Others: http://seattle.craigslist.org/search...uery=stairlift
    Finding what thinman needs will take time. But that's always a choice, time or money.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Here is one for $200. Look quickly. Bargains do not last. http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/for/5885078494.html Others: http://seattle.craigslist.org/search...uery=stairlift
    Finding what thinman needs will take time. But that's always a choice, time or money.
    Now youre talking, thanks! Looking at the pics...am I right in assuming the track is just mounted on the stairs, and in theory could be just laid down on the stairs temporarily (with any needed custom mounting feet for something like this)? What do these things usually weigh?