Thread: Quad taking the GRE exam. Should I request special accommodations?

Question Quad taking the GRE exam. Should I request special accommodations?

Hello! I'm preparing for grad school therefore I need to get a good grade at the GRE exam.

I have a SCI C5/C6 with no finger movement, therefore I believe I should ask for 50% more time since It's way harder for me to type in the computer and take notes during the quant section of the exam.

Has anyone here had taken the test and request special accommodations? I was not able to find any answer on the net.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, I believe when my son took the test he was allowed extra time. We are in So. California. Not sure how it works in Argentina, but I'm guessing they would extend that courtesy to you. Good luck!

Suggest you consider putting your request for accommodations in a written letter to GRE, keeping a copy. Once letter is sent follow up with phone contact to review letter request. With that done, you are in a better position to appeal in case any surprises occur at the exam that effect your functioning at 100%.

Here on Care Cure someone once noted the temperature level in an exam room was so high that he was over-heated and I'm not sure but I think he had to reschedule the exam.

Thank you both!

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Here on Care Cure someone once noted the temperature level in an exam room was so high that he was over-heated and I'm not sure but I think he had to reschedule the exam.
    That's EXACTLY what happened to me when I took the exam last week. Will speak to Promatic regarding this -they are the guys who build the test centers.

I took the GRE 15 years ago. I required an aide that was assigned by the GRE test center, and was given the extra time as well. I used every second of the extra time. I did, however, have the most unprofessional aide, who felt the need to try to carry on a conversation with me as I took the exam.

Just an FYI on this. I got approval for 50% extra time on the exam.

Great! Good luck on the exam. Let us know how it goes.

Actually it came too late because I have already applied to MIT. I already took the exam twice w/o the extra accommodations and last time I got 157 V, 162 Q, and 3.5 AWA ... not the best but pretty much decent

My advise for future applicants is to send the info early. Make sure your health professional explains on a letter the fact that not moving the fingers and some arm muscles are definitely a disadvantage when taking the exam.

Great! Best of everything for your graduate work.

Good luck with graduate school, and well done on your scores.
    For anyone else interested in accommodations for GRE (or any ETS testing), here's the link:
    http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_gener...ilities_150213