Thread: Minden company testing transfer technologies to assist wheelchair-bound passengers on

Minden company testing transfer technologies to assist wheelchair-bound passengers on

I'm sorry if I am not posting this correctly. It's an article about Peter Axelson and his company Beneficial Designs and how they are working on a system to make boarding an airplane easier and safer. Apparently he's worked on other products to help paralyzed people for the past 25 years or so. It sounds like a good idea and I hope they succeed.

http://www.nnbw.com/news/technology-...fliers-a-lift/

The Eagle Lift II is actually a more versatile option, but very limited availability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKbWtYXWZpI

(KLD)

Please dont take this wrong but I hate when these post get posted.

So many in our community already think they cant fly due to not being able to transfer, dont want to cause problems or think they will hold up the how plane.

We fly only Southwest and have worked with them for years on perfecting the process.

You dont need fancy equipment just get your ticket and enjoy.

Most airlines have pretty much the same process.

We fly monthly and have for the last 20 years and I have never been injured or hurt and 98% no issues flying or damage to my power chairs.

Many times we fly with two power chairs a beach sand chair and every day power chair.

My door is always open to help and support message me if you need.

Not everyone wants to limit their travel to the places served by Southwest, and even Southwest is not a solution if you are totally dependent in transfers. International travel can be facilitated by use of the device I posted above, as well as travel on planes other than 737s which SW flies exclusively.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    Please dont take this wrong but I hate when these post get posted.

So many in our community already think they cant fly due to not being able to transfer, dont want to cause problems or think they will hold up the how plane.

We fly only Southwest and have worked with them for years on perfecting the process.

You dont need fancy equipment just get your ticket and enjoy.

Most airlines have pretty much the same process.

We fly monthly and have for the last 20 years and I have never been injured or hurt and 98% no issues flying or damage to my power chairs.

Many times we fly with two power chairs a beach sand chair and every day power chair.

My door is always open to help and support message me if you need.

I flew for the first time in February. Timm helped me out a lot. I agree it went pretty smooth. However if they had something like the Eagle lift I would feel a lot safer. I'm a 215 quad that needs a full transfer. Not the easiest thing to do especially with limited room and angles inside the plane. They have one in Orlando. I spoke to the Fire Lt at the airport and he said they keep it at the fire station. He asked how much I weighed and I told him 215. He said they would use it with me. He said it is very hard to safely transfer people into the seats because of the angles and limited room. He said they don't want anyone to get hurt. He said they probably wouldn't use it if I was lighter. He said if I was flying to call them and they would have it ready to go. I can't wait our next flight.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Not everyone wants to limit their travel to the places served by Southwest, and even Southwest is not a solution if you are totally dependent in transfers. International travel can be facilitated by use of the device I posted above, as well as travel on planes other than 737s which SW flies exclusively.

(KLD)
    You didnt read what I posted right but just curious are you chair bound ? Or just putting information out that you grab from the web?

The reason I ask is I get a lot of able body people that give input on flying but dont fly and not understand the how simple it is to fly wheelchair or power chair and over think the process and talk them self out of traveling.

To post about a piece of equipment that most airlines dont have and do not plan to buy is putting false hopes out there for others.

I dont like to set our community up to fail. Point being no need to wait around for equipment like this to be bought which may never happen but relax and enjoy the ability to fly now.

I used Southwest as an example and most airlines have the same process in transferring but Southwest allows us to preboard so less stress more privacy if needed.

Plus I am 100% dependent on assisted transfers.
    Last edited by RollinPositive; 11-09-2016 at 08:17 PM.