Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Text messaging from your computer

Text messaging from your computer

Hello,
    depending on your level of injury, you may not be able to use a cell phone and have text messaging. One solution to have text messaging is a service called textmagic At https://www.textmagic.com. It is $4 a month for a dedicated phone line and $0.04 A message. I use this service and highly recommend it for those who have higher-level injuries.
    Best regards,
    Brian
    "Life's a Party and Your Not Invited"

If you use a mac and iphone you can text directly from the computer using your cell phone package. You can also make and receive calls from your mac using its speakers and microphone. I use both of these without too many problems.

Or you can use Skype to text out, no monthly fee unless you want an incoming phone number.

I use a program called LeapdroidVM that emulates an Android device. I downloaded an app called Textfree and it gives you a number to text to and from with. You can make calls as well but you only get limited free time for that. Works really well considering that its free. I use the LeapdroidVM for other things as well, such as Microsoft Bing searches for reward points and Publishers Clearing House contest/sweepstakes.

Is this spam? You are recommending a business solution. Use skype to text, its free.

When work gave me a free phone, I paid a one time fee of $20 to transfer my service to google voice. Google voice lets you text or call anyone for free from any computer, tablet, or phone for free (so if you didn't want to pay $20 to use your old phone number you could just get a free google number). Plus you can have google voice forward calls from a cellphone to your home phone, etc.

No reason to pay per text message... I'd go broke in half a day!

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    If you use a mac and iphone you can text directly from the computer using your cell phone package. You can also make and receive calls from your mac using its speakers and microphone. I use both of these without too many problems.

Or you can use Skype to text out, no monthly fee unless you want an incoming phone number.
    Yes if a person can use the phone. That's a good solution

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I use a program called LeapdroidVM that emulates an Android device. I downloaded an app called Textfree and it gives you a number to text to and from with. You can make calls as well but you only get limited free time for that. Works really well considering that its free. I use the LeapdroidVM for other things as well, such as Microsoft Bing searches for reward points and Publishers Clearing House contest/sweepstakes.
    That's a bit more Technical know-how to do.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Is this spam? You are recommending a business solution. Use skype to text, its free.
    No it's not spam. It's a business solution, however it cost $4 a month. My only problem with Skype is

Can you receive text messages on Skype?
    "The person you sent the SMS text message to won't be able to reply you on Skype. However, you can change your settings to receive the SMS text message replies on your mobile. To do so, select Tools > Options… > IM & SMS > SMS Settings and enter and verify your mobile number.
    – –
    The solution I gave was for people who have higher-level injuries. Such as quadriplegics, who are unable to use a cell phone. It is what I use and am quite happy with it..

Again it's for people who cannot use a cell phone. If you can use a cell phone there are other choices..

I'm c3 complete and can't use a cell in the tradition AB way, my contract is unlimited data purely to allow me to use as a hotspot when stuck in hospital. Using a mac makes it easier to send or receive texts using skype/imessage/facebook/snapchat or any one of the numerous social media systems out there. Maybe I am unusual but SMS is hardly used now, maybe 5 years ago it was but looking at my messaging apps it doesn't rank very highly. If it is is the only way to contact friends it might be worth it but updating your contacts with their other messaging systems addresses might be worth a look at. Try and keep the same user name on all messaging systems helps as well.

You may want to check if Airdroid works for you:
    https://www.airdroid.com/