Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Permobil M300 Corpus G3

I talked to my durable medical supplier (who I am becoming more and more dubious about) today. He told me when the f3 was launched, it took 6 months before they became available to dealers to sell. Since the m3 hasn't even been launched and possibly won't be until sometime in the 1st quarter, it could take 8-9 months before dealers see one or can sell one.

NL and I are going to a West Coast Abilities Expo on Nov. 18. Likely no one will be talking about a new m3 at their show floor booth.

All the best,
    GJ

We may have some wiggle room. I got some info regarding Medicare timelines that I pasted below. Once the DME gets back the Advanced Determination of Medicare Coverage it remains valid for up to 6 months. I doubt that Medicare would renege on it. The DME could hold the order for a while. I will talk about it with my DME next week.

Time Frames

Upon receipt of an ADMC request, a determination will be made within 30 calendar days. The Medical Review clinician will provide you and the beneficiary with a determination, either rejection, affirmative or negative, in writing. If it is a negative determination, the letter will indicate why the request was denied - e.g., not medically necessary, insufficient information submitted to determine coverage, statutorily non-covered.

If a wheelchair base receives a negative determination, all accessories will also receive a negative determination. If a wheelchair base receives an affirmative determination, each accessory will receive an individual determination.

An affirmative ADMC is only valid for items delivered within six months following the date of the determination. If the wheelchair is not delivered within that time, you have the option of either submitting a new ADMC request (prior to providing the item) or filing a claim (after providing the item).
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

"55," that is indeed a skin of the teeth scenario!

You've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do!

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    We may have some wiggle room. I got some info regarding Medicare timelines that I pasted below. Once the DME gets back the Advanced Determination of Medicare Coverage it remains valid for up to 6 months. I doubt that Medicare would renege on it. The DME could hold the order for a while. I will talk about it with my DME next week.

Time Frames

Upon receipt of an ADMC request, a determination will be made within 30 calendar days. The Medical Review clinician will provide you and the beneficiary with a determination, either rejection, affirmative or negative, in writing. If it is a negative determination, the letter will indicate why the request was denied - e.g., not medically necessary, insufficient information submitted to determine coverage, statutorily non-covered.

If a wheelchair base receives a negative determination, all accessories will also receive a negative determination. If a wheelchair base receives an affirmative determination, each accessory will receive an individual determination.

An affirmative ADMC is only valid for items delivered within six months following the date of the determination. If the wheelchair is not delivered within that time, you have the option of either submitting a new ADMC request (prior to providing the item) or filing a claim (after providing the item).
    I'm wondering about "affirmative determination" vs. "funding."

In this publication, http://www.cgsmedicare.com/jc/mr/admc.html, this is the first paragraph:

What is Advanced Determination of Medicare Coverage (ADMC)?

Advance Determination of Medicare Coverage (ADMC) is a voluntary program that allows Suppliers and Beneficiaries to request prior approval of "eligible" items before delivery of the items to the beneficiary. At this time, only customized wheelchairs (manual and power) are eligible for ADMC. Approval applies to the medical necessity of the item and does not guarantee that the claim will be paid. Other claim edits, such as Medicare eligibility, could cause the claim to deny even though ADMC approved the item.

If Medicare doesn't fund with an ADMC, then anything funded after the first of the year might be affected by whether the Senate and the House passed HR 3229 and SB 2196 - Amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to provide for the non-application of Medicare competitive acquisition rates (Competitive Bidding) to complex rehabilitative technology (CRT) as applied to wheelchairs and accessories, during the lame duck session before January 1, 2017.

All the best,
    GJ

I am in contact with Steve Balt, by email. His latest answer to my request for more information about the Permobil m3 that is rumored to be released is that the m3 will:

..."have significant improvements. The only thing I can share with you at this point is that the chair was designed to have better suspension and stability to improve the ride comfort and outperform our competition.

The M3 is a completely new base and seating system which will not be upgradable to the current M300 model. "

So, if you can afford to wait and want the m3, you decide to sit tight for 6 or so months. The question on waiting is what will congress do with "HR 3229 and SB 2196 - Amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to provide for the non-application of Medicare competitive acquisition rates (Competitive Bidding) to complex rehabilitative technology (CRT) as applied to wheelchairs and accessories "during this lame duck session before Jan. 1, 2017. See this thread: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ehab-equipment!

The other option is to test drive the f3 as previously suggested by "Roll Positive," and see if you can learn to like and live with the f3, Permobil Front Wheel Drive Wheelchair. This chair has been through an upgrade process and probably won't be significantly modified for sometime.

Steve apologized for not being able to share more information with us.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 11-11-2016 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I am in contact with Steve Balt, by email. His latest answer to my request for more information about the Permobil m3 that is rumored to be released is that the m3 will:

..."have significant improvements. The only thing I can share with you at this point is that the chair was designed to have better suspension and stability to improve the ride comfort and outperform our competition.

The M3 is a completely new base and seating system which will not be upgradable to the current M300 model. "

So, if you can afford to wait and want the m3, you decide to sit tight for 6 or so months. The question on waiting is what will congress do with "HR 3229 and SB 2196 - Amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to provide for the non-application of Medicare competitive acquisition rates (Competitive Bidding) to complex rehabilitative technology (CRT) as applied to wheelchairs and accessories "during this lame duck session before Jan. 1, 2017. See this thread: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ehab-equipment!

The other option is to test drive the f3 as previously suggested by "Roll Positive," and see if you can learn to like and live with the f3, Permobil Front Wheel Drive Wheelchair. This chair has been through an upgrade process and probably won't be significantly modified for sometime.

Steve apologized for not being able to share more information with us.

All the best,
    GJ
    Funding is not going to just go away, your DME may have to work harder but that is what they are paid to do.

I would still test the F3 simply because if you dont try it you will never know. Permobil has held back on any information on the new m300 I am sure to sell more current m300.

But having come from m300 to the F3 the new m300 would have to have big changes to equal the ride comfort of the F3 and or F5.

The story I am getting from my DME supplier is that the only ICD-10 code necessary to justify the type of wheelchair plus automatic tilt, recline, and leg raise is G82.53, C5-7 Quadriplegia, Complete (in my case). I have other issues that would further justify the need for the chair and accessories, the supplier says they are unnecessary for Medicare coverage.

I have been reading sample letters of medical necessity on the internet. The one that the occupational therapist wrote is way below the bar set by the examples I have read. If you have a great letter of medical necessity, could you share it with me, possibly by private message?

So, my question are:
    1. Does your DME supplier use any other code to justify the chair and specified accessories other than your spinal cord injury code?
    2. Is your letter of medical necessity quite specific as to what issues each of the features of the chair and accessories will help with?
    3. Have you had any experiences where Medicare rejected they type and manufacturer of the chair and accessories specified (other than the elevation and/or anterior tilt)?
    3a. If you did experience Medicare rejection, did you appeal and were you successful?

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 11-15-2016 at 07:28 PM.

I would guess most never see the paper work submitted for chair funding...any good ATP would be able to show medical necessity for basic features like tilt, recline etc.

I know when you looked at Prides Edge 2.0 they have iLevel. Plus a pretty successful funding process at about 60%

I would have your DME use there process for elevated seating for your m300 or F series.

This information can be used for all chair mobility not just Pride.

http://www.quantumrehab.com/pdf/medi...eat-height.pdf

fact vs fiction

http://www.quantumrehab.com/pdf/over...vs-fiction.pdf

Thanks "RollPositive," for the links. Quantum's letter of medical necessity is creative for sure, and no doubt it has worked for some insurance situations. I was on private payor insurance through my employer for 28 years and anything I wanted or needed was approved. But, 7 years on Medicare has been quite the adjustment.

I heard back from the regional representative in my area for Permobil. She says she knows of no instance where Medicare has paid for the elevated seating feature. She's been in the industry for 20 years.

All the best,
    GJ

Okay...Just got back from test driving the Permobil f3. It is a good chair with a great ride, no doubt about it. Wish that DME suppliers could get chairs for demo for tall folks, but they aim for average with demo chairs. There is no way I could spend a couple of days in the demo sized chairs the supplier has. I'd have major skin damage. That said, the regional rep has made sure that the closest fit she can find is available for test drives in both the f3 and the m300, but it is make the best of it, at the very least.

I drove the f3 into my van. It was very maneuverable, and even the first time up the ramp, I didn't have any difficulties. NL was the first to spot a problem which likely nixes the f3 for me. When I am in the rider's position, over the EZ Lock tie down, the back casters stick out behind me further than the m300 or my Invacare TDX-SP does. The problem is that when we travel, we bring equipment through the van door and need every bit of space behind me and door clearance that I have now. The extra length of the f3 (with the back casters/anti tippers) causes congestion vis-a-vis the door opening and wheeling the equipment in and out would be tight to impossible.

As I've said before, I don't use my chair as transportation and I don't go off road, and I don't do steep rugged inclines. That said, I can see how the f3 would probably be superior to the m300 if those are your demands on the chair.

Likely, the m3 will be introduced at the International Seating Symposium in late February, as other Permobil innovations have been in past years. If the past if a portend of the future, Permobil won't probably start taking orders and delivering the m3 until late spring or summer 2017. My current chair is 7 years old and needs a new back, new cushion, new tires, and casters and batteries. If I ask Medicare to spring for all of that to keep my chair going, they will deduct that amount from what they will pay toward the m3 when it becomes available. The m300 is a good chair for my needs, certainly better than the TDX-SP in most every way. I've reconciled with myself, that I really won't be missing out on too much new technology by settling for the m300.

Now...just get the thing ordered and delivered. Like most of us, now that I have made up my mind, I want it yesterday!

Thanks to all for encouraging me to at least give the f3 a chance. I'll keep you posted on further developments.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 11-17-2016 at 02:44 PM.