Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Permobil M300 Corpus G3

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Permobil M300 Corpus G3

I've been doing a great deal of research on rehab power chairs. Here is a quote from the Permobil M300 Corpus G3 web page on the Permobil site:

The patent-pending Climbing and Traction Link system connects the drive wheels and casters and performs multiple functions, providing overall stability especially while climbing obstacles and traversing various surfaces. With the Climbing and Traction Link system, the M300 boasts unmatched climbing capabilities - 3" forward and 2" reverse. The large 8" casters and flat-free drive tires with gel inserts help absorb shock, while the solid steel struts lessen the impact of lateral forces. Plus, the Climbing and Traction Link system incorporates an oil-damped shock with a progressive tension spring, so performance can be adjusted to fit an individual's weight and lifestyle needs.

It appears to me that to get the maximum performance out of the the Climbing and Traction Link system (3 inch forward climb and 2 inch backward climb) you need to select the tire/caster package that includes 8 inch casters and flat-free tires with gel inserts." Read this: http://www.permobilus.com/m300.php (paragraph at the top right hand side).

Foam insert tires don't seem to be an option on the order form, only pneumatic or flat free gel filled.

I know a couple of you are in the market to replace your Permobils with a new model. How are your durable medical suppliers interpreting these specifications regarding the Climbing and Traction Link system that is standard with the Permobil M300 Corpus G3?

Have any of you who have had Permobil chairs before had the black tire option? Do they leave black marks on floors?

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 10-30-2016 at 10:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Never owned a permobil. Owned a handful of different name brands and front, rear and midwheel drives. Solid wheels I will NEVER use. Back/teeth/bone breakers. Kings of NO traction. Have never used a gel insert in a tire so I can neither vouch for nor detract from. Used grey tires and black. Never made a mark on any floor surface( I had white tile at one time) with said black tires. PREFER black, last waaaaaaaaay longer than the gray 'tires'. I use tubes in every chair I have ever owned. Great for absorbing shock, say you find yourself away from concrete fantasy land and in nature on a gravel road... no problem, reach down and let some air out to soften the ride, get traction and go. Want to get up a curb when you get back to concrete world? You ain't gonna do it with fred flintstone tires unless you are lucky. Have I ever had a flat in a power chair in 17 years of using them? Nope. Have had sloooow leaks and patched them about two times and twice replaced tubes when replacing tires. I have a chair sitting here I have drove with the two tubes I bought for it when I got it back in 2004. I have to find a rim for it because it was made from aluminum and has stripped out. Tube is still good. 'Foam' inserts are hard as a rock also. But all that said, I have to drive to see concrete. I still keep low pressure in my tires even inside.
    Best traction comes with tubes. Midwheel drive are going to get you stuck somewhere. Rearwheel takes skill inside and you can go thru tight spaces in reverse. Frontwheel is best inside but you have to back up steep hills resting the front anti-tips on the ground. TILT is invaluable on a powerchair, an absolute necessity. Hint: stay away from midwheel drive chairs. They are going to get you stuck.
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 10-31-2016 at 01:43 AM. Reason: I spelled Fred's last name wrong, didn't want him to think I forgot.

I wouldn't ever consider trying this myself but was surprised how easily it went up the incline. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl_inKBtiwM

I've read others' comments about getting stuck using mid wheel drive chairs on uneven terrain.

I got a almost new c300 front wheel drive and I know it will not make it up that hill. See when you start going up on front wheel drive most you weight move to the back small wheels and the front ones just sit there and spin. Does the same thing on grass where my Invacare TDX-SR goes right up the grass hill. I have had all 3 types. Rear wheel, mid wheel and front wheel drive and outa the 3 the mid wheel is the best around. Especially in tight corners. Just M.O.
    Art

The Permabil order form has two tire offerings Pneumatic and Flat Free. The order form doesn't mention if the Flat Free tires are gel or foam, but the write up in the on line brochure specifically says gel.

I currently have an Ivacare TDX-SP, mid-wheel with foam filled tires. Rough ride! But, I don't do a lot of off road stuff with it. Some pavers and cobble walkways are killer, but I'm not in much danger of getting stuck.

Re: the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl_inKBtiwM, above. I have a friend with a 30+? concrete driveway and I have to "tack" back and forth to get to the top. Looks like it would be a lot easier in a Permobil.

Thursday, I'm going to the durable medical equipment supplier. He says he has 15 chairs on the showroom floor, variations of same models, that I can try out. I hope he has a couple that will fit my 6' 3" height. Being able to demo a wheelchair has never been easy at my height.

Thanks for your comments.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 10-31-2016 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    The Permabil order form has two tire offerings Pneumatic and Flat Free. The order form doesn't mention if the Flat Free tires are gel or foam, but the write up in the on line brochure specifically says gel.

I currently have an Ivacare TDX-SP, mid-wheel with foam filled tires. Rough ride! But, I don't do a lot of off road stuff with it. Some pavers and cobble walkways are killer, but I'm not in much danger of getting stuck.

Re: the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl_inKBtiwM, above. I have a friend with a 30+? concrete driveway and I have to "tack" back and forth to get to the top. Looks like it would be a lot easier in a Permobil.

Thursday, I'm going to the durable medical equipment supplier. He says he has 15 chairs on the showroom floor, variations of same models, that I can try out. I hope he has a couple that will fit my 6' 3" height. Being able to demo a wheelchair has never been easy at my height.

Thanks for your comments.

All the best,
    GJ
    I've had my TDX-SP mid wheel drive for almost 6 years now and was without it for a month and a half.I got a loaner chair (perimobil c300) I was very disappointed the battery life was bad I had to charge it every night,the ride and sturdiness was bumpy it would fishtail when I would pick up speed & bounce with the slightest movement and this was on smooth ground in my home.I was surprised when I read your post gjnl about the rough ride my tdx feels so much better than the c300.

Quote Originally Posted by SLIQNES View Post
    I've had my TDX-SP mid wheel drive for almost 6 years now and was without it for a month and a half.I got a loaner chair (perimobil c300) I was very disappointed the battery life was bad I had to charge it every night,the ride and sturdiness was bumpy it would fishtail when I would pick up speed & bounce with the slightest movement and this was on smooth ground in my home.I was surprised when I read your post gjnl about the rough ride my tdx feels so much better than the c300.
    The Permobil c300 is a front wheel drive chair. The m300 is a mid wheel drive chair. This is the chair I demoed and I felt had a superior ride to my 7 year old TDX-SP. Sometime, probably about mid 2017, the Permobil m300 will be replaced with the m3, also a mid wheel power chair.

I took the m300 over 3 inch curbs, rumble strips (for the blind) at curb cuts, gutter grates, into and out of my van, on cobbles and pavers, and I did not experience the jarring and teeth rattling bumpiness that I have with my TDX-SP.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 12-15-2016 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    The Permobil c300 is an older model of the Permobil mid wheel power chair. The model that replaced it was an m300. This is the chair I demoed and I felt had a superior ride to my 7 year old TDX-SP. Sometime, probably about mid 2017, the Permobil m300 will be replaced with the m3, also a mid wheel power chair.

I took the m300 over 3 inch curbs, rumble strips (for the blind) at curb cuts, gutter grates, into and out of my van, on cobbles and pavers, and I did not experience the jarring and teeth rattling bumpiness that I have with my TDX-SP.

All the best,
    GJ
    Interesting im gonna try to find some vidoes of it in action.

You'll find quite a few videos here: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...user=0&tbm=vid

The first one "Permobil m300 is a Beast" is a good one.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by SLIQNES View Post
    Interesting im gonna try to find some vidoes of it in action.
    I have a c300 and I would call it a front wheel drive......not a mid wheel drive.
    Art