Page 1 of 27 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Permobil M300 Corpus G3

Permobil M300 Corpus G3

I've been doing a great deal of research on rehab power chairs. Here is a quote from the Permobil M300 Corpus G3 web page on the Permobil site:

The patent-pending Climbing and Traction Link system connects the drive wheels and casters and performs multiple functions, providing overall stability especially while climbing obstacles and traversing various surfaces. With the Climbing and Traction Link system, the M300 boasts unmatched climbing capabilities - 3" forward and 2" reverse. The large 8" casters and flat-free drive tires with gel inserts help absorb shock, while the solid steel struts lessen the impact of lateral forces. Plus, the Climbing and Traction Link system incorporates an oil-damped shock with a progressive tension spring, so performance can be adjusted to fit an individual's weight and lifestyle needs.

It appears to me that to get the maximum performance out of the the Climbing and Traction Link system (3 inch forward climb and 2 inch backward climb) you need to select the tire/caster package that includes 8 inch casters and flat-free tires with gel inserts." Read this: http://www.permobilus.com/m300.php (paragraph at the top right hand side).

Foam insert tires don't seem to be an option on the order form, only pneumatic or flat free gel filled.

I know a couple of you are in the market to replace your Permobils with a new model. How are your durable medical suppliers interpreting these specifications regarding the Climbing and Traction Link system that is standard with the Permobil M300 Corpus G3?

Have any of you who have had Permobil chairs before had the black tire option? Do they leave black marks on floors?

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 10-30-2016 at 10:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Never owned a permobil. Owned a handful of different name brands and front, rear and midwheel drives. Solid wheels I will NEVER use. Back/teeth/bone breakers. Kings of NO traction. Have never used a gel insert in a tire so I can neither vouch for nor detract from. Used grey tires and black. Never made a mark on any floor surface( I had white tile at one time) with said black tires. PREFER black, last waaaaaaaaay longer than the gray 'tires'. I use tubes in every chair I have ever owned. Great for absorbing shock, say you find yourself away from concrete fantasy land and in nature on a gravel road... no problem, reach down and let some air out to soften the ride, get traction and go. Want to get up a curb when you get back to concrete world? You ain't gonna do it with fred flintstone tires unless you are lucky. Have I ever had a flat in a power chair in 17 years of using them? Nope. Have had sloooow leaks and patched them about two times and twice replaced tubes when replacing tires. I have a chair sitting here I have drove with the two tubes I bought for it when I got it back in 2004. I have to find a rim for it because it was made from aluminum and has stripped out. Tube is still good. 'Foam' inserts are hard as a rock also. But all that said, I have to drive to see concrete. I still keep low pressure in my tires even inside.
    Best traction comes with tubes. Midwheel drive are going to get you stuck somewhere. Rearwheel takes skill inside and you can go thru tight spaces in reverse. Frontwheel is best inside but you have to back up steep hills resting the front anti-tips on the ground. TILT is invaluable on a powerchair, an absolute necessity. Hint: stay away from midwheel drive chairs. They are going to get you stuck.
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 10-31-2016 at 01:43 AM. Reason: I spelled Fred's last name wrong, didn't want him to think I forgot.

I wouldn't ever consider trying this myself but was surprised how easily it went up the incline. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl_inKBtiwM

I've read others' comments about getting stuck using mid wheel drive chairs on uneven terrain.

The Permabil order form has two tire offerings Pneumatic and Flat Free. The order form doesn't mention if the Flat Free tires are gel or foam, but the write up in the on line brochure specifically says gel.

I currently have an Ivacare TDX-SP, mid-wheel with foam filled tires. Rough ride! But, I don't do a lot of off road stuff with it. Some pavers and cobble walkways are killer, but I'm not in much danger of getting stuck.

Re: the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl_inKBtiwM, above. I have a friend with a 30+? concrete driveway and I have to "tack" back and forth to get to the top. Looks like it would be a lot easier in a Permobil.

Thursday, I'm going to the durable medical equipment supplier. He says he has 15 chairs on the showroom floor, variations of same models, that I can try out. I hope he has a couple that will fit my 6' 3" height. Being able to demo a wheelchair has never been easy at my height.

Thanks for your comments.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 10-31-2016 at 01:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    I'm 6'2". I know exactly what you are talking about. I have only been able to fit under about two tables since I was injured. Both of them I built. That's why I always use a tablespoon to eat with, less spills on the long trek to the mouth I go up and down much steeper hills than than the one in the video.

Thanks for starting this post GJ. I have my seating eval Thursday. I ordered flat free tires with my current M300 and it came with foam filled ones. My hardest decision is deciding between 6 and 8 inch casters. Eight inch have advantages outside when going on rough terrain. I think the 6" would be better inside because the casters will not swing as wide when changing directions. that is a problem especially when I back out from my desk. On the other hand maybe that 1" less swing is really not significant.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Do you have to wait till the chair is 5 years old after you bought it to ask for a new one?
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    Do you have to wait till the chair is 5 years old after you bought it to ask for a new one?
    I've been told by an Occupational Therapist and a durable medical equipment supplier that Medicare will replace a power chair every 5 years.

Here is a FAQ from the Hoveround website:
    https://www.hoveround.com/help/learn...placement-rule

Medicare's 5 Year Power Chair Replacement Rule

March 12, 2013
    Question:
    Does Medicare cover replacement power wheelchairs?
    Answer: Currently, Medicare may cover a replacement power chair for eligible beneficiaries but only after five years of continuous use.1

A five-year replacement policy for power wheelchairs ensures that disabled individuals with long term mobility assistance needs will retain the ability to safely get around their home and accomplish essential routines of everyday life.

Some of the key points for understanding Medicare’s power wheelchair replacement benefit are offered below. Additional information may be found at Medicare.gov.

Replacement Policy for Medicare Power Wheelchairs

• Medicare may cover a replacement power chair after it has reached its reasonable useful lifetime.2
    • Reasonable useful lifetime (RUL) is estimated at, but no fewer than, five years. RUL begins on the date the recipient accepts the power wheelchair delivery.
    • After consistently operating the power chair for 5 years, the recipient may request a replacement.
    • In cases where the chair has sustained irreparable wear, Medicare considers the RUL of the equipment in its decision.
    • Medicare defines irreparable wear as deterioration resulting from day-to-day usage that is unrelated to any specific event or incident.
    • Medicare treats the request for a power wheelchair replacement as a new order. This means a face-to-face examination and detailed documentation of medical necessity must accompany the physician’s order for the power wheelchair.

In cases when there is a change in the patient’s medical condition that requires a different configuration or power chair, Medicare may cover a replacement chair in sooner than 5 years

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    Usually that is a requirement of Medicare and most other payers. Exceptions may be made if a person's condition has changed sufficiently to require a different wheelchair.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Thanks for starting this post GJ. I have my seating eval Thursday. I ordered flat free tires with my current M300 and it came with foam filled ones. My hardest decision is deciding between 6 and 8 inch casters. Eight inch have advantages outside when going on rough terrain. I think the 6" would be better inside because the casters will not swing as wide when changing directions. that is a problem especially when I back out from my desk. On the other hand maybe that 1" less swing is really not significant.
    I had problems just using 5" inch on a manual chair indoors. My preference is two sizes, or rather two chairs, small 3" casters inside and 8" outside.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.