Thread: Compression stockings.

Compression stockings.

Hello. I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice on using compression stockings, I haven't used any since my hospital stay after my injury.

The edema in my feet and lower legs is getting worse and I'm considering trying the stockings but I've had pressure sore problems on one heel a number of times and I was wondering if the stockings might cause more trouble? I don't have a sore at the moment but I don't have much padding on the heel. It's pretty much just scar tissue over bone.

Thank you,
    Brent K.

Hi Brent,
    I haven't had trouble with my heels and compression stockings. My trouble is that my feet are pretty wide from the balls of my feet forward and compression stockings squeeze my toes together so tightly that the pressure causes sores. It might be worthwhile getting an appointment with an orthotist* who can help you identify a compression stocking system to suit your needs.

*health professional specifically educated and trained to make and fit orthoses and prostheses and manage comprehensive orthotic and/or prosthetic patient care.

All the best,
    GJ

Thank you, GJ. An orthotist that my mother sees suggested using compression stockings but my pressure sore issues weren't discussed.

I had worn wool socks during cold spells before and after removing them my heel would be red but never caused a reopening. I just wondered if the tighter pressure might cause issues

I wear Futuro, firm/20-30mm/Hg compression socks.
    The toe area is un-compressed; there's no pressure on the toes, and the area just behind them shows edema from the lack of compression there.
    I have worn them continuously since early after my injury in 95
    I have had wounds on one foot on and off for 20 years including the heel and 1 1/2 years ago suddenly had unusual amount of edema and 3 (old) wounds open up-both sides of ankle and heel!
    Since then I have been going to the hospital wound care center. Once the heel wound closed, I resumed the pressure socks with no criticism by wound care or poor results.

EDIT: I have cut the tip of the toe area of some socks off-the ones I wear on the injured foot. I am healing sores between the toes. I wear a conventional sock over the open compression stocking which I remove twice daily to change the dressing and clean/dry/medicate the toes. Then, if I need to attend to anything else on that foot, I can pull the stocking backwards and up my calf to expose all of my foot. Wound car actually were impressed by this mod. It really makes it so much faster and easier. Initially they were wrapping to knee with two ace bandages. Dealing with them alone in my bathroom was nearly impossible!
    Last edited by pfcs49; 10-28-2016 at 07:41 PM.

It is possible to develop pressure ulcers from compression stockings - I have seen it.
    But also, if people have pressure ulcers in the feet/legs the extra swelling prevents the wound from healing.

I think you need the right type of compression garments besides the pull on plus you need the right amount of pressure in the stocking/garment. If it is too high of pressure then it can cause wounds. there are wrap type of compression garments that have velcro and you can adjust the amount of pressure on your legs.

I agree with you going into seeing an prosthetist.

pbr

Thank you for your replies. I've looked at the devices to assist putting the stockings on. I was wondering if any particular one would be more quad usable?

Thank you.

Thank you, KLD. I had looked at Jobst's and one that you shared a link to. The soft sleeved donner looked like one that I might be able to manage.