Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can injured spinal cord self repair?

Quote Originally Posted by comad View Post
    Dennis,
    Do you understand that you are talking to bunch of people that can not stand at all?
    I am just jealous ...yes I am ...no excuse.....no sorry...
    I wasn't aware. Why should that matter? I looked into Murray but the follow up links were blank. But look, I post one question to the medical professional and get a reply from that person that clearly shows my question wasn't really read. I reply twice to that professional and no response is, as of yet, forthcoming.

This is my first post to this group, or any group.

no it will not. you will probably get various limited return in certain areas. for instance, my bowels work normal now but did not always. in saying that, i'm still a quad in a chair

Quote Originally Posted by aquinas View Post
    no it will not. you will probably get various limited return in certain areas. for instance, my bowels work normal now but did not always. in saying that, i'm still a quad in a chair
    Aquinas, I don't understand what you refer to when you say "no it will not". If you'd clear that up I'll likely have another query. Thanks tho for the reply. I take it your injury was in 2008?

The muscles can get stronger and yes some recovery can continue. But repair by AIS examination would have to show use or movement and/or sensation in other muscles and significant improvement to change your AIS score.
    Your SCI functional level can also decrease. All that hard work can regress if you stop exercising or using the muscles. It is not that the cord is damaged again but that the muscles stopped being used daily and now the strength of the muscles has decreased.

CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The muscles can get stronger and yes some recovery can continue. But repair by AIS examination would have to show use or movement and/or sensation in other muscles and significant improvement to change your AIS score.
    Your SCI functional level can also decrease. All that hard work can regress if you stop exercising or using the muscles. It is not that the cord is damaged again but that the muscles stopped being used daily and now the strength of the muscles has decreased.

CWO
    I am new to this. What is AIS examination? What is SCI functional level? Is there a book or pamphlet on basic terms that I should look for? For that matter is there a book out there on basic SCI? I'm a used and rare book dealer so love looking for books. Am also retired so am happy to drive half a day to a good library. I'm half way between Rochester & Buffalo. Toronto is less than three hours.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisS View Post
    I am new to this. What is AIS examination? What is SCI functional level? Is there a book or pamphlet on basic terms that I should look for? For that matter is there a book out there on basic SCI? I'm a used and rare book dealer so love looking for books. Am also retired so am happy to drive half a day to a good library. I'm half way between Rochester & Buffalo. Toronto is less than three hours.
    http://www.spinalinjury101.org
    http://www.spinalinjury101.org/details/levels-of-injury
    http://www.spinalinjury101.org/details/asia-iscos

Thanks for the links. They show me my problems are trivial. One last question, is there a book out there that summarizes what is in www.spinalinjury.org? This will be my last post.

http://asia-spinalinjury.org/information/ or ISCOS is the other for international). This is so that the level of functioning is assessed in the same way.
    This is what we use- see the worksheet also. Every level of your spine is tested for movement and sensation. This gives the AIS score AKA your functional level. It can be different on each side and sensory can differ from motor.
    Quite complicated but this is the standard. Used to be called ASIA but this somewhat confused people so changed to AIS. This exam is for traumatic SCI but used for other spine disorders- if possible.
    CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    http://asia-spinalinjury.org/information/ or ISCOS is the other for international). This is so that the level of functioning is assessed in the same way.
    This is what we use- see the worksheet also. Every level of your spine is tested for movement and sensation. This gives the AIS score AKA your functional level. It can be different on each side and sensory can differ from motor.
    Quite complicated but this is the standard. Used to be called ASIA but this somewhat confused people so changed to AIS. This exam is for traumatic SCI but used for other spine disorders- if possible.
    CWO
    Thanks, I'll run the AIS testing by my regular doctor but it sounds like not needed in my case.