Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another year has passed.

By now there isn't much you haven't done, can't do and will continue to do. The best of luck always and to you, it is SIR!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Had to acknowledge. I wish you continued peace and fortitude.

Blog Entries
    Cheers indeed! Sending you a salute and a smile. And a kiss on the cheek, with a nod to the Mrs. I thank you as “joyful” comes to mind, as the sun rises.
    Randy

yup here too my anniversary was in july however 7 years ago. i think it was 7/31/2009 when i had the last surgery that ultimately took my legs.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

I have never tried to create some remembrance of my first bout with the bends (Caissons Disease). However, I am still in the learning stages of understanding what happened to my body when I had this accident. I have been fortunate the Neurosurgeon I stumbled across, understands the phenomenon of the bends! Most of the things he has corrected in my cervical, and lumbar spine had little direct connection with the bends. Old age, hard physical work, probably had more to do with what ailed me, NOT the bends directly. This is an amazing revelation to me. Another amazing thing to me is the way these symptoms were so seemingly coincidental!

My neck had slowly over many years scrunched and my spinal chord had become pinched so slowly that it did not become severed, just extremely painful in my arms and shoulders as well as in my neck area. My loss of strength has been caused by a form of Duchenne Muscular sclerosis likely caused by nitrogen gas bubbles that had been caught in the muscles. He readily admits to not being a neurologist and if I wish to continue to try to understand the why of all this I would have to find a much better neurologist and/or geneticist than might be found locally here in Southeast North Carolina.

Why should "I" at age 77 continue this seemingly dumb search? Of what value is my quest? I myself survived since 1972 with the second event with the Bends, and have lived a pretty full, and "I" think, productive life until age 65 when I did retire. I also was made aware of my neurosurgeon's assessment on Thursday November 3, 2016 (last Thursday).

Well for now, I need to understand if this normally male genetic problem, could I have had some sort of affinity in my genetic code that might be passed on? I do have two male grandchildren? Two of my son's have had some back problems which tend to lay them up from time to time, did "I" pass that F'n genetic code to them? Can passing my tidbit of knowledge help their doctor's diagnose "them" and assist them in their lives???

I read SCI for 55's life synopsis. It is a life full of hope and learning aside from the heart warming life story. WOW!!! I for an old fart did have tears in my eyes reading it. ..... Sully

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    Is WWRC still doing SCI rehab? I thought they stopped doing it recently. I was there in 89.
    Yes, they are still in existence, but only as an outpatient, post-acute program for therapy and vocational rehab. They do offer outpatient SCI clinic monthly as well. No more inpatient rehab:

http://wwrc.net/MedicalRehabilitationServices.htm

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Yes, they are still in existence, but only as an outpatient, post-acute program for therapy and vocational rehab. They do offer outpatient SCI clinic monthly as well. No more inpatient rehab:

http://wwrc.net/MedicalRehabilitationServices.htm

(KLD)
    I go there for my seating evals. Nice group of mostly competent folks. Lots of chairs on hand for demo'ing too. Worth the couple hours of driving it takes for me to get there.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sullivan View Post
    ...I read SCI for 55's life synopsis. It is a life full of hope and learning aside from the heart warming life story. WOW!!!...
    This deserves repeating.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thanks for all the kind wishes and comments everyone. For those who read my story there were a lot of tears shed while I was writing it. But fortunately there were happy tears as well as sad ones. To write an accurate account of my post-injury life I had to pretty much relive many of those experiences. However, looking back was a lot easier than facing all the unknowns in those early post-injury days.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Thanks for all the kind wishes and comments everyone. For those who read my story there were a lot of tears shed while I was writing it. But fortunately there were happy tears as well as sad ones. To write an accurate account of my post-injury life I had to pretty much relive many of those experiences. However, looking back was a lot easier than facing all the unknowns in those early post-injury days.
    I am so glad you shared your story!
    I need to send my wife some flowers!