Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question Re: Foley French Size

Question Re: Foley French Size

Hello,

I know the FR size in foley catheters denotes diameter, but do larger french sizes also have larger "eyelets" i.e the two, small drain holes in the bladder?

The reason I ask is, for the last year (approx) I have been having to change my foley more frequently.

I used to be able to go 4 - 6 weeks. Lately, lucky if I can go 3 weeks without draining issues. I use the analogy of a can of apple juice with only one punctured, opening vs two. It drains but not fast enough and I get the beginnings of AD. Its always when I lay down too. I have been using a indwelling cath (urethral) for over 20 years. Originally sent home with 16Fr but figured 14Fr be less irritating, so been using 14Fr. For whatever reason I am experiencing more sediment and partial blocking now.

Will 16Fr help? Do they have bigger drainage? I seem to recall in rehab they did some sort of irrigating... Would that be helpful?

Thx.

Foley catheters come in many combinations of eyelets or eyes as they are sometimes called, i.e., 2-staggeredm 2 sets if 2 opposed, single eye, 2 opposed, 2 on same side, 3 staggered etc. Staggered eye catheters allow for higher (faster) drainage for high urine flow. I remember reading about specialty foley catheters with larger eyes, but I think the size is pretty standard from French size to French size.

All the best,
    GJ

I did not know that about the different eye combos. Thanks gjnl! I would say what I use is opposing. I'll ask my supplier re staggered.

Can anyone chime in on irrigation? Is it helpful? How often?

By way of more background, I drink 1.5 litres/day of water. Take cranberry pill x1/day and 500mg x 2 Vit C/day for bladder health. Can't recall last time I needed antibiotics for bladder infection. (Thank God!)

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyCrip View Post
    Can anyone chime in on irrigation? Is it helpful? How often?
    Generally speaking, the SCI nurses on this forum have said there is no value to bladder irrigation. Bladder irrigations to prevent and dissolve calculi is sometimes done with a solution called Renacidin. Renacidin is useful in the presence of renal calculi composed of apatite (a calcium carbonate phosphate compound) or struvite (magnesium ammonium phosphates. Renacidin is not useful in the presence of calcium oxalate, uric acid or cysteine calculi.

I've read where bladder instillations with the Microcyn, HydroCleanse, and MicrocynAH products help to prevent clogged catheters while have the side benefit of helping to prevent colonization and urinary tract infection.

Other solutions that can be used are sterile saline and acetic acid (although home vinegar and water solutions are not recommended).

All the best,
    GJ

I used to have my bladder irrigated morning & night for many years. We thought it was the thing to do.
    I used to be able to go 4 weeks before a catheter change but that has changed over the years too.

I went down to every 3 weeks & now every 2 weeks with irrigating just to make sure it works.

Bty, C5-C6 with SP, catheter size 24Fr.

Coloplast makes an open tip foley. I haven't tried one, myself. I think they are intended for persons with supra pubics, but, if it was possible to thread through your urethra it might be a better alternative. I think their initial purpose was to allow blood clots to pass easier. They claim that they are much easier to unclog also. I found them on this website. http://www.stlmedical.com/store/urin.../COAA64xx.html

I've always used a 16 fr foley. I started out using the silicone coated latex folies and I started having problems with them clogging so I switched to using 100% silicone ones. I tried different brands, some, I think, would bury into my bladder wall and not allow drainage. I had better success using Medline's. I switched to Duette's a little over a year back and really like them. I don't seem to have as much sediment as long as I drink plenty of fluids.

One of the nurses here once stated that 20 fr were safe for urethra use.

Bard also manufactures the open end folies but I'm not sure if they are available here.
    Last edited by Brent K; 10-26-2016 at 11:46 PM.

I don't know where you could buy one but there is a device that works like a punch, it will nip off a portion of the end of a foley to allow better flow.

https://www.cookmedical.com/products/uro_fctp_webds/

This page better explains it. https://openi.nlm.nih.gov/detailedre...6851-004&req=4
    Last edited by Brent K; 10-28-2016 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent K View Post
    I don't know where you could buy one but there is a device that works like a punch, it will nip off a portion of the end of a foley to allow better flow.

This page better explains it. https://openi.nlm.nih.gov/detailedre...6851-004&req=4
    I found a couple of these on an internet search. $45,00 on an Ebay listing to $168 on an infusion supplier site.

I'd talk to my urologist before taking this route on my own.

All the best,
    GJ

I don't know if it would be a better product or not but it seems like a designed foley that had an open end without an extension past the retaining balloon would work better. It might cause less damage to the inside of a person's bladder.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent K View Post

Wow! What the heck do you even Google to find something like that? #LOL.

iS THE Duette you mentioned above, Brent, that double balloon One i've heard about?