Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre Surgery Bowel Prep

Pre Surgery Bowel Prep

I am having a laparoscopic procedure to remove my uterus and one of my ovaries. I am wondering how I should do my bowel prep the couple of days before. They said clear liquids the day before surgery and two feet enema the night before. Will this be sufficient bowel prep? I usually have my bowel program in the mornings. I am a bit concerned that being on clear liquids I will not have a good morning routine and then all day clear liquids I may not have anything move through in the evening with the fleet enema. I am then worried that the morning of the procedure I will have a bowel accident. The last time I went in, for Botox for bladder, I had an accident right before my procedure. Any suggestions on how I should clear my bowel before surgery?

And then of course my program is going to be off so there is the whole, how to get back to a normal bowel routine after surgery.

You might consider a prep similar to colonoscopy prep. You could go on a liquid diet for 3, maybe 4 days before the procedure, and use magnesium citrate instead of fleet enemas.

Clear liquids include broth or bouillon, Jell-O, clear juices, sports drinks such as Gatorade, sodas such as Sprite, 7-Up, or gingerale, lemonade, Popsicles, coffee and water.

Night before surgery
    Drink two bottles of Magnesium Citrate.
    Immediately after drinking Magnesium Citrate, drink at least 2 to 3 eight ounce glasses of clear liquids.
    Continue to drink clear liquids until bedtime (at least 64 ounces during the day)
    The laxative effect can begin within 1‐4 hours. Be prepared to be near the bathroom during the preparation.

Day of surgery
    Follow your doctor's directions on when you need to stop drinking any liquids.

To get things moving again, resume you normal diet, add some kind of probiotic and fiber, wait a couple of days and try resuming your routine program.

Good Luck,

All the best,
    GJ

Thanks! I have had surgeries before but none that required a bowel prep. Instead of drinking the mag citrate at night, could I do late afternoon and then finish bowel routine before midnight? I also use a magic bullet for my regular morning bowel routine. Should I use a magic bullet 3-4 hours after I drink the mag citrate?

When I do prep with either magnesium citrate or GoLitely for colonoscopy, I start in mid afternoon and usually am finished by 9:00 PM.

I usually use one Magic Bullet to get things started about 1/2 hour after drinking the liquid prep, if I haven't had something happen before then. Be prepared to be and stay close to the toilet. You could have several bout of diarrhea during this clean out period.

All the best,
    GJ

holy hell! I have not even gotten to the mag citrate That will be this afternoons pleasure) and my body does not like this one bit! Thank God for hand held shower units. For the love of god I pray to never have to do a bowel prep for surgery again!

Quote Originally Posted by medic1 View Post
    holy hell! I have not even gotten to the mag citrate That will be this afternoons pleasure) and my body does not like this one bit! Thank God for hand held shower units. For the love of god I pray to never have to do a bowel prep for surgery again!
    Ah, you aren't yet old enough, but eventually, you will have bowel prep to look forward to for colonoscopies, starting at about age 50. At first they will tell you one every ten years. But, sooner than later you will join the every 3 or 5 year club. It is amazing how fast that 5 years can go by!

Sorry this prep is so awful. But, I wish you well for your surgery tomorrow.

All the best,
    GJ

Home for hospital. Having some issues with bowel. Been trying to eat small snacks, bland. Scrambled egg, yogurt, pudding. Bowel isn't holding anything yet. Any suggestions? I'm taking Norco as needed and ibuprofen 800 every 8hrs. I know it's important not to get constipated and end up straining, however this no good either. Or is it just going to take time?

It does take some time to get things moving again. General anesthesia and Norco are in and of themselves constipating. Combine those with your pre surgery diet, bowel prep, not being as active as you normally would be and probably not drinking as much liquid as you usually do and you have all the factors for a bout of constipation after surgery. Try increasing the fiber in your diet with dried prunes or stewed prunes, whole grain cereal, beans, nuts, fruits and vegetables. You may want to try adding a fiber supplement and using a fiber laxative. and of course making sure you are drinking enough water.

All the best,
    GJ

I believe medic1 is saying that her bowels are very loose and she may be having accidents, not that she is constipated.

First, you need to be sure you did not acquire c. diff. as a result of your hospitalization or antibiotics given in conjunction with your surgery. If you are having multiple (at least 3) very loose/liquid stools daily, this should be ruled out before taking any medications or making diet changes to firm-up your stool.

Things that may help to firm up stool include tea (vs. coffee), real cheese (not Velveeta), cultured yogurt, and probiotics. Medications that may help include Kaopectate, Imodium, or Fibercon (calcium polycarbophyl). All of these are available over-the-counter.

Drinking plenty of liquids is still a good idea, as frequent loose watery stools can cause you to become dehydrated.

(KLD)

Thanks for the info. Yes. Having accidents. Trying to get body back on routine, regularity. Getting better. Hopefully will be back to normal in another day or two. Continuing with fluids, yogurt with active cultures. Trying to stay away from any medication that will firm things up as I am usually always taking miralax to help with bowel program. I don't want to cause an issue the other way. However, I am wondering if the surgery will have an effect on this. The pathology report indicated there was a lot of endometriosis, fibroid/fatty tissue and adhesions removed from peritoneum, would this affect my bowels?