Thread: keeping laptop running

keeping laptop running

I have an inspiron 5759 laptop computer. Fairly new, fast. I use it as my PC in my room. What do the folks in the know say about letting it stay on 24/7 ? I shut it down every few days but, prefer to leave it on most of the time. Would I be doing it any harm by doing so?
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

I'm not sure but laptops can overheat pretty easily and if your fans get clogged, you could find a burnt up computer... or worse catch the house on fire. My computers tend to slow down when they get hot, so I always turn mine off each night. It takes less than a couple minutes to restart, so why risk it.

No, with a new laptop there is no issue with keeping it running.

Just keep the ventilation intake and exhaust ports open and you should be fine. I have an old Pavilion laptop, must be 8 or more years old, it never gets turned off, but it is well ventilated. I swap my wireless mouse and keyboard between it and a newer laptop.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

When the fan stops it will die. It is not a matter of 'if', but 'when'. You need to shutdown to apply patches. This also blows aways memory leaks and so speeds things up.

Shut it down when not in use as PeeCees are a fire hazard.

Should at least shut it down when you go to sleep.

I have a conduction cooled machine that I use as desktop and server 24h/d, but its running GNU/Linux. I use an industrial/military machine as my office is hot and has no air conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtop1 View Post
    I have an inspiron 5759 laptop computer. Fairly new, fast. I use it as my PC in my room. What do the folks in the know say about letting it stay on 24/7 ? I shut it down every few days but, prefer to leave it on most of the time. Would I be doing it any harm by doing so?
    Just leave it on it goes in to sleep mode and is dormant till you touch the keyboard.

Total waste of time turning it on and off.

I work from home mine is always on.

When memory is tight shut down for real

Suspend to disc does actually turn the machine off, but it saves all the memory leaks that slow it down and then reloads them when it wakes up. Suspend to RAM the system is alive as it has to wake up every so many ms to scan the SDRAM for the refresh.

I use Windows like a tea bag and fire up the VM for just one task and then shut it down. You also need to shut down to apply updates.

My wife uses suspend on her newer 4Gio MacBook Air as its faster. She is stuck on an older OS X Yosemite (10.10) as she likes iPhoto. I shut down my vintage MacBook Pro running Sierra (10.12) with only 2Gio of SDRAM as memory is now tight. Need to buy some more SDRAM?
    Last edited by zagam; 01-10-2017 at 03:25 AM.

Agree with the others...heat is a computers enemy. Can you set Power Options to Sleep or Hibernate when you shut the lid. Keeping it clean and ventilated will only help longevity. They can get hot enough to melt the plastic case which I suppose could start a fire. Mine always shut down after reaching an excessive temp. Many BIOS will let you set a warning/shutdown temp.

Leave mine on most of the time. Close the lid at night to go into a low power state. It's a good question with lots of debate online. Used to care more about these things when I worked on puter all day everyday. Lots of good hardware forums around. Maybe not the best but here is a start

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Thanks Rook98006. I went to that web site. I like it for gleaning information. I am keeping the computer on less. Have always kept it clean with good air flow to keep it cool. About a 50/50 opinions on this question.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.