Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disassemble QR axle

Disassemble QR axle

I know there was a thread on here years ago describing how to take apart a quick release axle. Unfortunately a search has not turned anything up. So, who knows how to disassemble a quick release axle?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Had one that bent so bad I had to cut it off right next to the hub, another story... Here is a picture of the pieces, there is a 'C' clip opposite the push release end. Remove the C clip and it will come out. Be careful and do it over a bowl, cloth or something where you can see the ball bearings when it comes loose. I have one on my chair now that I do not see the clip, hope it isn't your type.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Blog Entries
    The one in the picture is from a TiLite chair, the one I can't see a clip on the end of is from my Colours Spazz G. If you are having trouble removing it from the rim, the adjustment bolt on the end is backed out too far. Move it as far forward as it can go, away from the push release and toward the bearings.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    I've had some like above, and TiLite ones where the cap unscrews and it comes apart. Found the latter one day when trying to put the wheels on my chair at the store. Luckily all the parts fell in my lap and i was able to finally get it all back together.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    I've had some like above, and TiLite ones where the cap unscrews and it comes apart. Found the latter one day when trying to put the wheels on my chair at the store. Luckily all the parts fell in my lap and i was able to finally get it all back together.
    When you say the cap unscrews, do you mean the aluminum cap which is the push button or you mean the very end of the piston when you depress it?

The pair i want to disassemble are top end Ti axles, no c clip on the end, so it must be threaded.

The push button cap itself. You have to depress it and hold the other end of the inner pin with something to unscrew the cap, then everything slides out. It's not the easiest thing to do because you are compressing the spring while trying to screw it back together.

why would you take it apart anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    why would you take it apart anyway?
    To replace the nylock nut with a Ti nut, and maybe get the axle shortened. Besides, it's good to know how to do your own maintenance on your equipment, for lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp View Post
    The one in the picture is from a TiLite chair, the one I can't see a clip on the end of is from my Colours Spazz G. If you are having trouble removing it from the rim, the adjustment bolt on the end is backed out too far. Move it as far forward as it can go, away from the push release and toward the bearings.
    Thanks for the pics and info on the c clip models.