Thread: Trospium(Sanctura)

Trospium(Sanctura)

I've been reflex voiding for 29 yrs, now cathing 3x per day too to eliminate residuals an starting trospium to relax bladder. vid urodynamics showed some reflux up towards kidney as pressure went up.
    understand, I take no meds so this is new territory. what does this do for someone in terms of reflex voiding ect.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Sanctura/trospium is what my Dad has been taking for several years to decrease bladder pressures. Hopefully, this will decrease your reflux towards the kidneys. They may want to repeat the urodynamics after you have been on trospium for awhile to make sure the pressures are improved.

But one nice thing about the trospium is that it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier. That means you have less of the common side effects of this family of medicines (anti-cholinergic), which for some folks can cause some fatigue/cognitive changes. My Dad is in his 70's, and it is important for him to minimize these side effects. And since many with SCI will need to be on these meds for many years, and some anti-cholinergics have been associated with an increased risk of dementia, it's probably better to protect your brain from these meds as much as possible. So probably if you have to take a bladder med, trospium is a good place to start.

My Dad's neuro-urologist uses trospium as the med of choice for high bladder pressures, rather than the older oxybutynin or Detrol etc..., especially now that it is generic and less expensive (trospium) to minimize the side effects.

My Dad doesn't reflux void, and it's my understanding fewer folks do these days because of the risks you have experienced.

thx hlh. this new uro is a neuro-urologist as well. said same thing, doesn't use older drugs unless has too.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

What pressure did Urodynamics show when you reflex void? If high then it will back up into the kidney. Reflex voiding rarely empties the bladder and most have changed to anticholinergics/botox and then start intermittent cath. Yes it will decrease your bladder pressure and voiding pressure and you may not be able to empty or have the reflex voiding.
    Keeping the kidneys safe is the most important.
    CWO

i'll verify that Monday. going to request my results for my file.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    What pressure did Urodynamics show when you reflex void? If high then it will back up into the kidney. Reflex voiding rarely empties the bladder and most have changed to anticholinergics/botox and then start intermittent cath. Yes it will decrease your bladder pressure and voiding pressure and you may not be able to empty or have the reflex voiding.
    Keeping the kidneys safe is the most important.
    CWO
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

any reflex voiders taking these meds?? experiences?? 60mg ic trospium chloride er
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com