Thread: Resuming sitting after a pressure sore

Resuming sitting after a pressure sore

As they say on radio talk shows: "First time caller here"

My husband fell on the floor doing a bed to chair transfer late last week. Phone battery was dead and none of the neighbors were home so he was down for about 30 minutes. He had the foresight to roll over and lay on his stomach until I got home. Within 24 hours though, he had developed a dark, non-blanching ischial sore. Max diameter was about 2cm.

The skin never opened. We were lucky.

After a week of complete bedrest, pressure relief and protective covering, it is much, much lighter, almost undetectable except with a LED flashlight shining on it.

I was hoping to help him up to his shower chair tomorrow night with the area covered and then try him out of bed in the wheelchair for a few hours at a time with skin checks in between over the weekend. He wants to drive and go back to work on Monday.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

We start with patient sitting up for 15 minutes and also no shear or friction on the area. After 15 minutes (could be a q15 minutes observe the area. However with your description there could be pressure injury all the way to the bone- identified as suspected deep tissue injury.
    So I would start with the shower then observe then maybe another time up 30 minutes and observe any changes. How far is work? and does he sit up at work all day? Can he does pressure shifts &?or pressure releases every 15 minutes?
    CWO

Thank you.

I couldn't even see the area of the sore this AM but I put a dressing on anyway to prevent shear. I will start him with shorter sitting intervals this weekend. Work is a pretty good drive from home. Thanks to members of CareCure, he knows how to do pressure relief when driving. He can do shifts and lifts every 15. Will he? I'll see on Monday afternoon.

This has been a scary experience and I feel empathy for everyone who has posted about dealing with skin issues. Life just stops.

from the way it sounds he should be fine, just take pressure release a little more often and keep an eye on it I used to get those like that and once they were gone I was fine
    C4 incomplete since 1985

Quote Originally Posted by crppled007 View Post
    from the way it sounds he should be fine, just take pressure release a little more often and keep an eye on it I used to get those like that and once they were gone I was fine
    Thanks for the reassurance.
    Shower transfers went well although he's a bit weak from the bedrest.
    I'm still keeping the dressing on so he doesn't tear the new skin when he turns in bed.