Thread: RT300 lead #6 broke off

RT300 lead #6 broke off

This is my 7th set of leads in 8 yrs. In the past, I would call Restorative Therapies and order a refurbished set of leads when one of the individual leads (always #5 or 6) stopped working. They would cost around $175. This week the socket on # 6 just completely broke off the wire. I called to get a replacement set and Maurice tells me they only sell new ones now and they are $390!.
    Do you think it is possible to just pull the old broken wire out of the socket and plug in the end of the remaining wire and have it still work?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by tarheelandy; 10-20-2016 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Added picture

Blog Entries
    RTI should be ashamed of their leads! Do you know anybody handy with a soldering iron? You can buy replacement sockets from an electronics supply shop. Just make sure you don't cause any sores with a sharp or oversized socket.

You can see the socket is fine. You can barely see a little bit of the wire from the lead sticking out.

Typically this type of connector has some sort of crimped or soldered connection between the wire and the pin that pushes into the lead from the electrode. I have never opened up one of mine so I can't say what it is, but, as nrf said, you should be able to solder on a third party connector fairly easily.

RTI asking such sums for wires is shameful. I'm really hoping the guys at MyoLyn/MyoCycle can come through with a better and more affordable solution.

I am happy to report that I found an old broken set of leads around the house,my husband cut off one of the sockets from it and spliced it onto the current set #6 wire. It works and hopefully will keep working. $390 saved

Bravo!

yeah RTI is a complete rip off in the quality of their products. Totally designed to fail. I have gone through many Rt50's and they solder the batteries in charging us over 50 dollars to replace a 5 dollar battery pack. Someone needs to find replacement parts that are stronger and cheaper. Those cables are weak!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelandy View Post
    when one of the individual leads (always #5 or 6) stopped working.
    I am having problems with mine after many trouble free years. My leads are colored, not numbered and I am having problems with the yellow glute leads. What muscle does 5 or 6 correspond to? What caused the wiring harness to fail in the past? My cable is looking rough where it plugs into the computer but looks fine everywhere else. I don't want to buy a $390 cable if that is not what is causing my problems.

Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    I am having problems with mine after many trouble free years. My leads are colored, not numbered and I am having problems with the yellow glute leads. What muscle does 5 or 6 correspond to? What caused the wiring harness to fail in the past? My cable is looking rough where it plugs into the computer but looks fine everywhere else. I don't want to buy a $390 cable if that is not what is causing my problems.
    RTI tells me that the reason it is always #5 or 6 that fails for me is because I am sitting on it during workout. Makes sense to me, I get it. My left side is odd numbers (5 being glutes) and right side is even numbers (6 is glutes). We noticed when we looked at the old set I had that they had just repaired it the way that we did before selling them back to me as refurbished at $175. I understand that they have to make money and I want them to stay in business. I also realize that those two leads do take a beating (I work out 3 to 4 times a week for an hour-going on 8 yrs) but I would like to see a cheaper solution to the repairs. Having said all that-I wouldn't trade anything for the benefit I get out of my bike.

I bought some e-stim wire extensions when I got my RTI and they make things much easier and serve several purposes. I bought 18" extensions that I place on the glute pads and put those on while I dress in the morning. I put on convertible pants that have zippers on the legs to turn them into shorts, this lets me wear nice pants during the day and still do fes in the morning. The extension wires are then easy to pug into the RTI. I have shorter extension wires that stay connected to the ham and quad pads that stay connected to the RTI. The extension wires are also thin so I don't have to worry about sitting on the thicker RTI connectors. They also allow me to use any fes pads I want, most cheaper than the ones RTI sells.
    Attached Images Attached Images