Thread: 2004 Ford freestar

2004 Ford freestar

Greetings, I am new to this forum. I am getting a used Freestar for my disabled husband. Is there any one using this vehicle for their loved one? Also unfortunately the RAMP and passenger door does not work automatically. the buttons do not respond tho it seems to power up. If i have to use it, i have to manually crankle it open. Would any of you know whether it can be repaired ? Else is there any light weight Ramp I can use rather than manually opening it every time ? Thanks in advance. Any advice is welcome as i am brand new to this usage.

Do you know the type of handicapped conversion the van has, i.e., Braun, VMI, Freedom etc.?

Have you searched the internet to find out if you have a wheelchair dealer/repair near you?

The ramp can possibly be repaired, if the conversion company is still in business and parts are available or you can find a dealer who has been around long enough to know about older conversions and has spare parts in stock.

All the best,
    GJ

Thanks a bunch GJ. Am getting the car on Saturday 22nd, will respond with the make and check if they are around. As far as I searched there were no makers of accessible stuff for cars in my city Stamford. Will check again .

Make sure you have a good mechanic inspect the underneath of the Freestar before you purchase it.

Chances are something can be done to make the ramp thats in it work easily in a manual mode.

These vans were never very popular and there are very few still alive in the New England area.

It would also be best if you could figure out the name of the company that converted it.

You wouldn't want to buy one with a grey market lowered floor conversion.

fwiw: Most of the
    Freestar/Winstars in New England have rotted/rusted and fallen apart.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Thanks Jim.
    1. "inspect the underneath of the Freestar" : Whats should the mechanic look for in the underneath
    2. Chances are something can be done to make the ramp thats in it work easily in a manual mode. : Meaning any means to pull it out rather crinkle it open ?
    3. What did you mean "buy one with a grey market lowered floor conversion."

Transmission problems are the most common problem that I have read about with the Freestar and Windstar.

Quote Originally Posted by matildacorera View Post
    Thanks Jim.
    1. "inspect the underneath of the Freestar" : Whats should the mechanic look for in the underneath
    2. Chances are something can be done to make the ramp thats in it work easily in a manual mode. : Meaning any means to pull it out rather crinkle it open ?
    3. What did you mean "buy one with a grey market lowered floor conversion."

1)Rust or in most cases lack of anything solid because its long gone.

2)I'd need to see it. Best bet would be to have either a knowledgeable mobility dealer (not necessarily a easy thing to find) look at it, or someone who is really good at fixing and adapting stuff.

3) Wheelchair vans built by companies who don't crash test, who build really bad conversions & in many cases weld vans together crooked.

There are a lot of them out there with more and more being built every day.

Your should really find someone knowledgeable in accessible vans to look at it.

Just about every week someone brings us a van they just bought wanting to know what we can do to fix something or fit someone into it.

About 8 out of 10 times the outcome isn't all that good.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

How much is the van?

Are you in CT?

Feel free to email me if you don't want to post the info here.

Jim
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Automotive Innovations View Post
    How much is the van?

Are you in CT?

Feel free to email me if you don't want to post the info here.

Jim
    So sorry Jim, I faied to notice ur response. I had started to use it with a mechanical ramp and it worked well. Now I am looking to sell it as my husband is no longer able to sit comfortably.