Thread: funding?

funding?

Does anybody know if my wife can get paid for being my caregiver?

SW Colorado---chair user from nerve disorder
    I dont know a lot about this yet but will as I want my husband to eventually be my paid caregiver. I think it varies by state. In my state they have waiver programs so first you have to be approved for that. My neighbors are both paid caregivers to their nephew and had to go through a training program first. I don't know all the details though.

Are you already getting funded for PCA care through Medicaid Waiver or similar program, or a private insurance company? Who is funding this? I assume you are in NJ, correct?

Each state has different rules for their Medicaid Waiver program, so if that is your funding, you will have to find out from them (or your Independent Living Center may help you). If you have private insurance paying for agency care now, then they likely will not pay for a family member, as they generally restrict you to an licensed agency which sends them reports, etc. unlike a family member or friend doing this for you.

Do you really want your spouse to be doing your bowel and bladder care?? Generally not recommended unless you have no other options.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Do you really want your spouse to be doing your bowel and bladder care?? Generally not recommended unless you have no other options. (KLD)
    NL and I have been married for 45 years, and she has been my caregiver, doing all bowel and bladder care, bathing, dressing, etc., etc., etc., for 35 years since my injury. Yes, we understand that our arrangement may not be optimal for everyone, but it has worked for us, allowing us to live on our own terms and travel without the intrusion into our privacy by any third party. For now we just can't see living our lives any other way. We have the financial means to employ caregivers, but for now, we just don't want that intrusion into our personal space and life style.

Everyone has to work these kinds of arrangements for themselves. Generally recommended lifestyles by medical professionals should not rule out the bond between committed partners.

All the best,
    GJ

gjnl I agree with everything you posted.My wife has been my caregiver since I was injured 1996,i just get my SP changed by my uroligist,this whole process is very conveinient.

I have nurses Monday through Friday 7am to 7pm while my wife is at work then she takes over from 7pm to 7am. She gets paid for 12hrs 7 days a week. I have wc. I don't need nurses for the weekend usually but if I do I just let the agency know. If there is a holiday or we are going on a vacation we cancel the nurses. We let them know ahead of time so they can pick up some extra shifts. It isn't fun having someone intrude your space but unfortunately that is the only way we can do it right now.

In NJ, I think this is the program you are referring to. If approved, you can pay relatives from an allowance.

I only had 5 yrs of 24/7 care exp. for my husband, but agree from what I have seen in other cases that it is an individualized decision.