Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kefir

kefir

using this as a probiotic. I had to back off as it was WORKING to well. any other experiences with this stuff
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

anyone?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    anyone?
    I use Lifeway brand plain kefir, and make my own yogurt. It's fantastic stuff, especially after having to do a course of antibiotics i load up on the kefir heavy for a week. And yes, it's made a big difference in bowel function, i no longer need to take laxatives.

I have taken kefir when on antibiotics. I can't really say if it has helped or not. I have taken a good quality probiotic capsule for years. There seems to be a lot of study and discussion on gut microbes these days.

Here is an interesting discussion on probiotics from NPR, "Fresh Air" program if you are interested:
    http://www.npr.org/2016/08/18/490432...obes-within-us

yep that's what I use but flavored. it definetly keeps things moving. I started after few course of abx had me messed up. actually tested pos for cdiff toxins but by the time the test came back all symptoms were gone. so did not treat. not sure if it was the kefir that knocked it down or not. my doc said many times in younger patients just the abx clearing your system will do it if cdiff isn't bad
    Quote Originally Posted by giles88 View Post
    I use Lifeway brand plain kefir, and make my own yogurt. It's fantastic stuff, especially after having to do a course of antibiotics i load up on the kefir heavy for a week. And yes, it's made a big difference in bowel function, i no longer need to take laxatives.
    ches, good read. basically those drs think probiotics are snake oil, am I reading that right??
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    I have taken kefir when on antibiotics. I can't really say if it has helped or not. I have taken a good quality probiotic capsule for years. There seems to be a lot of study and discussion on gut microbes these days.

Here is an interesting discussion on probiotics from NPR, "Fresh Air" program if you are interested:
    http://www.npr.org/2016/08/18/490432...obes-within-us
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

I make my own kefir, fill a mason with milk and put the grains in, leave it on the counter for 24 hours, strain it and reuse the grains for the next batch. I eat some of the grains, cause they grow too fast, they have the texture of gummies.
    No comparison to the commercial stuff, the homemade is much better.

If you are interested look up the kefir lady in the internet, she has lots of info, you can even make cheese with the kefir.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    yep that's what I use but flavored. it definetly keeps things moving. I started after few course of abx had me messed up. actually tested pos for cdiff toxins but by the time the test came back all symptoms were gone. so did not treat. not sure if it was the kefir that knocked it down or not. my doc said many times in younger patients just the abx clearing your system will do it if cdiff isn't bad

ches, good read. basically those drs think probiotics are snake oil, am I reading that right??
    I think if it's working for you it's worth sticking with.

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    Quote Originally Posted by trekker6 View Post
    I make my own kefir, fill a mason with milk and put the grains in, leave it on the counter for 24 hours, strain it and reuse the grains for the next batch. I eat some of the grains, cause they grow too fast, they have the texture of gummies.
    No comparison to the commercial stuff, the homemade is much better.
    If you are interested look up the kefir lady in the internet, she has lots of info, you can even make cheese with the kefir.
    That sounds great, trekker6!
    Fuentejps, you mentioned C diff. For any bad stomach ache, I take oregano oil (in an empty capsule) and betaine hydrochloric acid (drops into water.)
    Female, T9 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    That sounds great, trekker6!
    Fuentejps, you mentioned C diff. For any bad stomach ache, I take oregano oil (in an empty capsule) and betaine hydrochloric acid (drops into water.)
    I cannot recommend that as a treatment for c. diff. People die from c. diff. infection of the bowels. It is not something to treat with home remedies.

(KLD)

Yeah I make it. Need to buy some more grains. I would drink it plain or sweeten it with stevia and add cinnamon or vanilla extract and orange peel oil. I drank like a quart a day, I got tired of making it . Gut health is important. I take it for sure after I've stopped taken antibiotics.