Thread: Cipro for UTI

Cipro for UTI

The last time I had a uti I went to the urologist and he put me on Cipro. The antibiotic worked really well at clearing up my urine and stopping the leaking that I had going on. I have a full bottle of Cipro left that was filled in the past that I never used. The question I have is can I go ahead and take the Cipro that I have to see if it clears it up or do I have to go back into the doctor to see what he says ? Thanks !

Well, I am not sure it is what medical health professionals would say but I would take the cipro. If you joined in 2011 you have had SCI long enough to know when you have a UTI.

Just as a side note, my doctor stopped prescribing Cipro because of reports of tendon http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/...endonsruptures.

If it was me I would still take the cipro you have, but next time I get a UTI I would switch to bactrim.

Blog Entries
    Without testing your urine, you won't know which antibiotic will be effective. I'd see my doctor.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Tom is right. You should not take an antibiotic until a culture and sensitivity is done.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Tendinitis ? I don't want to have to wait a week to be able to go in and see him. I thought this would be a little quicker.

FDA Warning: Cipro May Rupture Tendons
    http://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/...upture-tendons

“Federal regulators are ordering new warnings on Cipro and similar antibiotics because of increased risk of tendinitis and tendon rupture.”

Make an arrangement with your doctor to have a standing order at a lab so when you have urinary tract infection symptoms you can drop a specimen off for urinalysis and culture & sensitivity. Alternatively, many doctors will accept a specimen of urine at their office without an appointment. The problem with dropping a specimen off at your doctor's office is that a doctor's office doesn't have the equipment to do an in depth analysis.

Never take an antibiotic for an infection for which you don't know the bacteria causing the infection. Once you start taking an antibiotic, the specimen of urine will be compromised and culture and sensitivity will be meaningless. Cipro is a very powerful, broad spectrum antibiotic that should only be used as a drug of last resort, when other, possibly more appropriate antibiotics, should be used. If you take it routinely as a first line antibiotic, you run the risk of developing antibiotic resistance.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 10-15-2016 at 12:16 AM.

Ditto !!! call dr get a standing order for your lab that you use then when ever you are showing symptoms ..run a specimen over ..they will notify dr right after a C&S is done and he can call the correct antibiotic to your pharmacy.

Some physicians will work with you and try to make you more comfortable while you are waiting for the results of the culture & sensitivity (C&S), by prescribing a supply of Macrobid to take AFTER you have submitted a specimen to the lab. Macrobid can knock down the symptoms of most infections for a short time, until it is know what the bacteria is and what antibiotic is most appropriate.

All the best,
    GJ