Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for new chair

Blog Entries
    I tried my buddy's Panthers X and I didn't notice a difference vs pushing my Lasher BT-Mg. Then I did the math. I weigh 170lbs. My chair weighs 21.5lbs. With my cushion the Panthera X weighed 16lbs. Total rolling package 191.5lbs and 186lbs, respectively. Then I realized why I couldnt notice much of a difference. There really wasn't much of difference to notice. It was when lifting the chair that the difference was remarkable. 5.5lbs is ~25% difference on a 20lb chair but on a nearly 200lb total package it's only a couple percent.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

That makes sense, however I've been able to tell a difference in pushing a lighter chair, even the same chair with lighter wheels. I only weigh around 140, so the percentage of weight difference may be a little higher, but not much. I guess it varies person to person. But in theory a lighter chair should take less effort to push/maneuver.

Oddity is exactly right, there is very little advantage realized with respect to ease of pushing a lighter CFRP wheelchair. There can be; however, quite a noticeable improvement in push efficiency based on frame rigidity. In order to save weight, many metal frame chairs are simply omitting structural members and using cantilever designs. The lack of a fully boxed frame not only decreases frame rigidity, but also changes the location and magnitude of load bearing stress.

I read more than a few posts about caster flutter problems on various chairs, that may well be the lack of support for the caster fork stem housing rather than a problem with the caster assembly itself.

The best reason to choose a carbon fiber chair in general is low transfer weight without sacrificing strength. I load/unload my chair an average of 10 times per day. Over 16 years that's nearly 60000 times I've had to lift my chair with one fully extended arm. The difference in effort required and shoulder fatigue experienced in the 5 years I've been using this same carbon fiber chair have been incredible. It also makes loading/unloading my chair much easier on the other people in my life who occasionally have to lift my chair into the back of my SUV.

As to which carbon fiber chair to choose, there's really no easy way to evaluate the quality just by looking at one. If you have an eye for engineering, you can pretty easily see if an overall design would be inherently "strong", but it still depends largely on the materials used and the layup schedule.

Try and talk to people with actual experience with a particular chair and compare your needs to theirs. Keep in mind that wheelchairs are designed to perform the activities required for personal mobility and the related abuse of daily life. Noone can guarantee that any wheelchair will withstand extreme abuse from mishandling.

I have one of these http://progeo.net.au/wheelchairs/rig...oker-evolution simply the best chair I've ever had. A mate has the carbon version.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    Most people want a carbon chair because it makes car transfers, etc. easier because of the weight, but for me its making the chair lighter to push and the less effort to do it that would make the biggest difference.
    Both of these describe my exact situation. With insurance companies (or *most* insurance companies) refusing to pay for ultra-light chairs, it seems like too big of a risk to take to learn the hard way that CFChair XCF can't handle the knocks and dings that occur when an unforeseen pothole partially swallows the chair and sends its occupant flying in the other direction. I learned the hard way that my Titanium frame CAN in fact handle this and many other types of trauma. I also know that there is a lifetime warrantee on that Titanium frame.

Statements like this one (not even in the fine print) make me wary:
    Carbon Fibre is a very strong material but sensitive to impact and hard shocks. As an example, a fall backwards in the wheelchair against a hard surface can cause damage to the back frame. Damages caused by external force are not covered by warranty.

Again, I *hope* I can be proved wrong and a CF chair will end up being the right one for me.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Quote Originally Posted by Black Alloy View Post
    Try and talk to people with actual experience with a particular chair and compare your needs to theirs. Keep in mind that wheelchairs are designed to perform the activities required for personal mobility and the related abuse of daily life. Noone can guarantee that any wheelchair will withstand extreme abuse from mishandling.
    This is where I am now. Looking high and low... not just here. So anyone with any experience/knowledge of an ultra-light, ultra-portable chair would be extremely helpful.

Oddity, I've always liked the Lashers - never knew anyone who had one. What kind of wear and tear is yours subjected to? Any significant issues thus far? Overall satisfaction?

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daveh0 View Post
    This is where I am now. Looking high and low... not just here. So anyone with any experience/knowledge of an ultra-light, ultra-portable chair would be extremely helpful.

Oddity, I've always liked the Lashers - never knew anyone who had one. What kind of wear and tear is yours subjected to? Any significant issues thus far? Overall satisfaction?
    Overall satisfaction is very high. I own 2. One setup for everyday use and one setup for off road. My everyday chair is 8 1/2 years old, my off road is 6. Even the upholstery is still in perfect shape. The 'sail cloth' he uses is tough as nails. Doesn't stretch a bit. The finish top coat has taken a beating but nothing has gotten through to the metal. Popped one inner tube and that's the only issue I've had. I question the value compared to something like a TiLite. Lasher is better IMO but I question if it is so much better to justify the price premium. I probably won't buy a 3rd, but that's because I'm getting stingier with money the older I get. They are fantastic chairs. Neither has given up even the slightest bit of performance in many years of service. I have no plans to replace them for many more years into the future.

They're used normally. Around house, around town, broken down half dozen times a day for loading into a car. Coach soccer and baseball in the off road, with a Freewheel. Nothing overly harsh. I live in the sand on the Chesapeake Bay, so it's salty, but no corrosion issues.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by scurl View Post
    I have one of these http://progeo.net.au/wheelchairs/rig...oker-evolution simply the best chair I've ever had. A mate has the carbon version.
    That is a nice chair. They list it as fully adjustable, yet lightweight at 12.1 lbs without rear wheels, 18.7 with.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Have you looked at a Box chair? They are very light and portable and as customized as it gets. I live in the Boulder area and would be happy to show it to you.
    Used to be known as TexasWheelz, but lost my email it was connected to and just recently moved to Colorado and trying to spend more time on here again.