Thread: Why This Chicago Disability Group Is Suing Uber

Why This Chicago Disability Group Is Suing Uber

We were in San Diego awhile back visiting friends and they called for a wheelchair accessible Uber ride. The guy showed up with a Toyota Prius.

Why This Chicago Disability Group Is Suing Uber

Add one more lawsuit to the pile at Uber.

A Chicago-based disability rights group on Thursday filed a federal lawsuit against Uber Technologies alleging that the ride-hailing company has violated wheelchair accessibility laws.

The lawsuit, filed by Access Living of Metropolitan Chicago and three disabled people associated with the group, alleges that Uber fails to provide vehicles equipped to handle wheelchairs and is seeking an order to bring the company into compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Uber did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

http://fortune.com/2016/10/13/chicag...ty-group-uber/
    ^^(A)^^

When I think of a wheelchair accessible public personalized transport, I think taxi. Especially in Chicago with the fleets of taxi MV-1's and drop floor minivans all over. The last thing through my mind is to use a ride-share service where some guy with his personal vehicle is trying to play taxi driver, a wheelchair accessible vehicle just isn't happening (unless by some stroke of luck that guy happens to actually own one and wishes to trash it playing taxi).

Barking up the wrong tree IMO

I think the problem is that Uber has only provided very few documented "accessible" rides in the last few years. I believe they even claim ADA regs don't really apply to their drivers (thus Uber as well). At the same time the popularity of Uber has driven down the number of actual licensed taxis, the folks who at least acknowledged ADA applied o them.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    I think the problem is that Uber has only provided very few documented "accessible" rides in the last few years. I believe they even claim ADA regs don't really apply to their drivers (thus Uber as well). At the same time the popularity of Uber has driven down the number of actual licensed taxis, the folks who at least acknowledged ADA applied o them.
    This. A lawsuit probably won't touch them (do you really think they haven't thought of the ADA risk?) as they are basically just the network. It's up to the drivers who register with Uber and claim they have accessible vehicles to actually show up to their pick up with said accessible vehicle.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out