Thread: How to know if there's a problem below injury level?

How to know if there's a problem below injury level?

I was thinking today (T6 complete), how would I know if I had a medical problem below my injury level like kidney stones, appendix burst, gall bladder issue, etc.? Something that wouldn't be as obvious as an ankle swelling because I twisted it or skin turning red after a burn? Sometimes my body spasms when something is wrong, sometimes it doesn't. I also have severe nerve pain 24/7 so I can't go off of that as an indicator either. How am I supposed to know if something internal is wrong if I can't go by spasms, pain, etc.?

Usually if you have medical problems below your level of injury, you will have an increase in pain or spasms from your baseline. So it is important to know what your baseline level of function is from your daily cares and comfortability.

pbr

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Usually if you have medical problems below your level of injury, you will have an increase in pain or spasms from your baseline. So it is important to know what your baseline level of function is from your daily cares and comfortability.

pbr
    Makes sense. When that does happen, how do you know what to tell the doctor to check for, since it could be anything? Or how do they know where to start?

You should be getting a renal ultrasound every couple of years that will tell if you have any stones bladder or kidney or Gall stones and other issues in those areas. I agree that spasms are not the best indicator as mine can vary for no reason. You should go see your SCI doctor and urologist at least once every two years, they would like you to come every year I am sure and its not a bad idea to do so at all but I am bad about not going till they make me, I have a prescription that I need to be refilled so that keeps me in there periodically, at least to my urologist and I don't want to be dropped off my Physiatrists patient list as he is not taking on any new patients. Any way I guess I am saying they will try to keep check on certain things that you might not be able to know what is going on with due to your injury...

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    You should be getting a renal ultrasound every couple of years that will tell if you have any stones bladder or kidney or Gall stones and other issues in those areas. I agree that spasms are not the best indicator as mine can vary for no reason. You should go see your SCI doctor and urologist at least once every two years, they would like you to come every year I am sure and its not a bad idea to do so at all but I am bad about not going till they make me, I have a prescription that I need to be refilled so that keeps me in there periodically, at least to my urologist and I don't want to be dropped off my Physiatrists patient list as he is not taking on any new patients. Any way I guess I am saying they will try to keep check on certain things that you might not be able to know what is going on with due to your injury...
    Thanks, I see my SCI doc every 6 months and urologist once a year (as well as my primary doc for yearly wellness exam). But they usually just ask me how things are going, etc. Being that I've dealt with spasms and severe nerve pain everyday for the last five years, I'm not sure what I can tell them that would make them feel the need to check for any specific problems that I can't feel...

Cannot remember how long after I was injured that I started having renal ultrasound but if you have never had one and they do not say anything about it you might want to bring it up in a year or so.

I keep a thermometer and a blood pressure machine by my bedside and take my vitals at least 3 to 4 times a week. If anything changes it is a pretty good indication I have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

pbr
    I don't seem to have a stable baseline. My pains seem to get worse with time, so it's difficult to tell if they're worse because something is wrong down below, or simply because it's tomorrow.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.