Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: San Francisco Hotels

A few things to remember San Francisco is a major tourist spot so its a busy urban city.

Like New York City a lot of people that live in the city dont drive so public transportation Bart, F Train, buses are a major source of transportation.

The buses run till 2-4 am so at 10p that is not going to be an issue.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Beac...8800!3e3?hl=en

I agree on the hills near the hotel are very steep so if you have been running around all day then make an attempt to climb one of the hills to get back to your hotel I could see a chair drain its charge due the load of the steepness of the hills and not make it to the top.

Worse yet get thermal roll back (got to hot) and shut down. Your electric brake would hold you but might be a challenge starting up going uphill.

The F train is always accessible and yes it can rain in SF take an umbrella, but the F train is small so only holds 1 to 2 power chair wheelchair so if its busy like anything else just wait till the next one they come every 15-20 min depending on time of day.

Layer up and user bring gloves and scarfs and we included a plastic bag in case it rains you can cover the joystick.

Taking a wheelchair and a power chair seems like a lot of effort maybe practice and get better at transferring in the powerchair should be higher and more easy to transfer. The hotel bathroom should be big enough for the power chair.

Have them take pictures of the room and email it to you.

What ever works best.

Last hotels usually have platforms on beds so they dont have to worry about guest shoving things under and forgetting plus less for house keeping to have to not clean under.

Most of that area by your hotel is at night is fine but just 4 blocks south @ Geary and E of Grant is the "Tenderloin area" is a real high crime area at night.
    Last edited by RollinPositive; 10-15-2016 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    The F train is always accessible and yes it can rain in SF take an umbrella, but the F train is small so only holds 1 to 2 power chair wheelchair so if its busy like anything else just wait till the next one they come every 15-20 min depending on time of day.
    Our experience with the F-line, especially if it is raining, is that the wheelchair accessible platforms are after the stop for others to get on the trolley. So, some folks get off, but others get on, the trolley fills up and there is no room for even one wheelchair. So you are up on the platform, but you can't get in on the trolley. This can go on forever. After being passed up a few times and soaking wet (even with rain gear...it is the wind driven rain), we got off the platform and made it to a bus stop and were fortunate to get on a bus and out of the rain.

All the best,
    GJ

Rollpositive
    I agree on the hills near the hotel are very steep so if you have been running around all day then make an attempt to climb one of the hills to get back to your hotel I could see a chair drain its charge due the load of the steepness of the hills and not make it to the top.
    Thanks for the reply and I understand what your saying but I'm really curious if you've actually ever gone up one of the hills by the MH in your electric chair.

gjni has said he has to zig zag to get the hill, that surprised me. My chair is fairly powerful but gjnl lives there so I have to believe I might have to do the same.

Thanks

edit - I've only been using this chair a few months. But I was just out at a lake and went up a very steep boat ramp with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Rollpositive

Thanks for the reply and I understand what your saying but I'm really curious if you've actually ever gone up one of the hills by the MH in your electric chair.

gjni has said he has to zig zag to get the hill, that surprised me. My chair is fairly powerful but gjnl lives there so I have to believe I might have to do the same.

Thanks

edit - I've only been using this chair a few months. But I was just out at a lake and went up a very steep boat ramp with no problems.
    Yea 100's of times going up and down SF hills and the hills around that hotel. But my point is when we are traveling its all about maximizing our adventures so rolling down the hills is not that big of a deal, but going up them can drain your batteries big time.

So at the end of our day or night and we are going back and need to go up a steep hill if I have the charge I use it but if its going to put to much load on my chair to stop or drain it then no we take a bus, subway or F train back.

On the F train issue we never had a problem with boarding its public transportation so when the train stops the doors open people are asked to move we load and those people move to other seats are ride standing up. The stops on Market are exposed the stops along the piers have over head covering.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    On the F train issue we never had a problem with boarding its public transportation so when the train stops the doors open people are asked to move we load and those people move to other seats are ride standing up. The stops on Market are exposed the stops along the piers have over head covering.
    On the experiences I wrote about earlier in this thread, the trolley was so crowded, there was no room for anyone to get on, no way to jockey people around, and the drivers didn't stop at the accessible platform to try to load the wheelchair passenger and 3 companions. They just kept going!

Good points about wheelchair batteries used all day not having the power to negotiate those steep hills at the end of the day

All the best,
    GJ

Yea 100's of times going up and down SF hills and the hills around that hotel
    RollPositive, That eases my mind, I'll make sure my batteries have plenty of charge before attempting going up that hill. I'll probably stretch out on the bed (staying in my electric all days kills my back) for a while before we go to Beach Blanket Babylon, so I'll charge the batteries then. Should have close to full power when we leave.

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    RollPositive, That eases my mind, I'll make sure my batteries have plenty of charge before attempting going up that hill. I'll probably stretch out on the bed (staying in my electric all days kills my back) for a while before we go to Beach Blanket Babylon, so I'll charge the batteries then. Should have close to full power when we leave.

Thanks for the reply.
    I think the best advice to those traveling is dont over think it...go enjoy the journey and not just the destination.

Meaning the fun of San Francisco is the street vibe, international crowd and world class tourist stop.

One thing we learned is on the steep streets if you go down a few blocks and try coming up different streets its make a big difference.

Google maps app and click on bicycle route will show how steep the climb is.

Have fun enjoy and post pictures!!

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Beac...5051!3e1?hl=en