Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: San Francisco Hotels

landrover, Thanks for the reply. Just curious, when you say "lift" do you mean a "Patient Lift or Hoist", if so, do you have a portable one or do you rent one when you travel? I ask because I'm 63 and know it won't be long before I'll need one.

So do you use two chairs manual and power when traveling?

I have a Permobil F3 with foward tilt. So will raise up to bed level and my Wife is able to lift and transfer me.

For those that are not able to do that I would rent a hoyer lift but then its back to finding beds you could roll under for the lift to work.

The streets are crazy steep in that area so rolling down not a big deal and using the bus to get back is much less drain on your charge.

We take Mason down to Market and then take Bart at the Market stops or the F train from there.

You are also only 4 blocks from Union Square easy roll down and bus back.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    So do you use two chairs manual and power when traveling?

I have a Permobil F3 with foward tilt. So will raise up to bed level and my Wife is able to lift and transfer me.

For those that are not able to do that I would rent a hoyer lift but then its back to finding beds you could roll under for the lift to work.

The streets are crazy steep in that area so rolling down not a big deal and using the bus to get back is much less drain on your charge.

We take Mason down to Market and then take Bart at the Market stops or the F train from there.

You are also only 4 blocks from Union Square easy roll down and bus back.
    Yes I do use two chairs, I always use a manual around my house. I live alone and I find it a lot more functional.

So you've never came up the hills around the Mark Hopkins? When you say you take the bus back, do you mean the city bus? Not sure I would be able to get a bus back from Beach Blanket Babylon at 10:00pm.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Yes I do use two chairs, I always use a manual around my house. I live alone and I find it a lot more functional.

So you've never came up the hills around the Mark Hopkins? When you say you take the bus back, do you mean the city bus? Not sure I would be able to get a bus back from Beach Blanket Babylon at 10:00pm.
    Will you be using your manual and your power chair on this trip to San Francisco?

Taking the bus or even the F-line in San Francisco can be iffy, especially if it is raining, it isn't a slam dunk.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but San Francisco hills are STEEP, temperatures are getting colder and we are entering into our rainy season, which is unpredictable at best.

Have a back up plan.

All the best,
    GJ

Will you be using your manual and your power chair on this trip to San Francisco?
    Yes, I've never gotten around to learning how to get dressed or transfer to a bed using my electric but I do plan on using my electric on any excursions.

I'm somewhat familiar with SF, I only live about 90min away in Modesto and have stayed at the Wharf before. I guess I'll just have to give the hills by MH a test in the afternoon and then decide if I want to walk to BBB or use some other method.

Thanks and take care

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    landrover, Thanks for the reply. Just curious, when you say "lift" do you mean a "Patient Lift or Hoist", if so, do you have a portable one or do you rent one when you travel? I ask because I'm 63 and know it won't be long before I'll need one.
    Hi, I bought a used Molift 150, and bought the hard travel case for it.

landrover,

That's a nice setup, didn't know about that option but I can see what you mean about beds with box pedestal being a problem.

Thanks take care

The Molift Smart is a nice travel lift. You can also consider the Hoyer Advance.

If the bed is too high, have you asked the hotel if they can remove the box spring or topper mattress (as long as there is another mattress underneath), or remove both from the frame and put on the floor? If you are not using a lift, this may be the best way to manage these new higher beds that many luxury hotels have now days.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The Molift Smart is a nice travel lift. You can also consider the Hoyer Advance.

If the bed is too high, have you asked the hotel if they can remove the box spring or topper mattress (as long as there is another mattress underneath), or remove both from the frame and put on the floor? If you are not using a lift, this may be the best way to manage these new higher beds that many luxury hotels have now days.

(KLD)
    One of the problems is that many hotels have gone to platforms that cannot be removed from beneath the mattress, and there usually isn't enough space in the room to move the mattress beside the permanent platform.

Can these travel lifts like the Molift Smart and the Hoyer Advance be used with the enclosed platforms?

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    One of the problems is that many hotels have gone to platforms that cannot be removed from beneath the mattress, and there usually isn't enough space in the room to move the mattress beside the permanent platform.

Can these travel lifts like the Molift Smart and the Hoyer Advance be used with the enclosed platforms?

All the best,
    GJ
    No, it cannot be used with the platform style beds. I'm finding it increasingly more difficult finding hotels that do not use platform style beds.