Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: San Francisco Hotels

t8burst, Thanks for the info

gjnl, I talked to the Office manager at the MH and she said they would remove the bed frame if I need them too. I appriciate that Union Square is flatter but it's one of those things I want to mark off my bucket list, stay where my grand father worked for 20+ years and sipping a Martinni at the Top of the Mark and checking out the SF nightime sky line. So now it's just a matter of getting to and from Beach blanket Babylon, is there a route you would suggest. If I decide the hills are to much, would it be better to take my van or call a wheelchair taxi. How expensive would a taxi be, which company would you suggest. Thanks
    Last edited by wes4dbt; 10-13-2016 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    t8burst, Thanks for the info

gjnl, I talked to the Office manager at the MH and she said they would remove the bed frame if I need them too. I appriciate that Union Square is flatter but it's one of those things I want to mark off my bucket list, stay where my grand father worked for 20+ years and sipping a Martinni at the Top of the Mark and checking out the SF nightime sky line. So now it's just a matter of getting to and from Beach blanket Babylon, is there a route you would suggest. If I decide the hills are to much, would it be better to take my van or call a wheelchair taxi. How expensive would a taxi be, which company would you suggest. Thanks
    Your best "walking" route is to follow directions on Google maps.

If you have your own van transportation, you will have to find parking around the Beach Blanket Babylon Theatre.

Yes there are wheelchair accessible taxis available in San Francisco, sometime they work great, other times you may wait for hours.

Sorry I can't be any more help than that.

All the best,
    GJ

gjnl, No need to be sorry, Thanks for responding.

Do you think it would be safe walking from BBB back to MH down Powell at 9:30 - 10:00pm on a Wednesday?

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    gjnl, No need to be sorry, Thanks for responding.

Do you think it would be safe walking from BBB back to MH down Powell at 9:30 - 10:00pm on a Wednesday?
    There may have been a time when I would have done this, today, I'm 71 and my lovely wife NL is 67. I'd prefer not to do the walking route at that hour.

All the best,
    GJ

Stayed at Mark Hopkins and the rooms are very small and older so not our style...but if you wanted to stay how about a roll away? That just sucks paying all the money.

I would call general manager and explain what you need and why and the hotel has special meaning and see if they can help problem solve.

If not we love Kimpton Brand best boutique hotels for accessible needs.

We love Argonaut Hotel in the old cannery area. Big rooms and great environment.

https://goo.gl/maps/YRQf1YUdff32

Bed height is not an issue for us because my Wife can help me transfer from my power chair, so for us is more room size in San Francisco.

Dont forget you can call housekeeping and have them remove furnature to give you more room. Plus dont be shy always ask for a room upgrade to accommodate your chair and experience.

We have been upgraded way to many times to count to VIP suites that are just amazing.

I would always recommend walking in San Francisco because 1/2 the fun is the eclectic neighborhoods, people watching and public transportation is the best!

The Bart direct from SFO airport and Oakland to the city is great!

The F Train is accessible and fun cross town and Ferry Building area and Pier 39 drop offs.

The Ferry's to Salado are accessible to!

Check out the Ferry Building great places to eat..

Dont forget UBER WAV is available in the city too.

RollPositive,
    Stayed at Mark Hopkins and the rooms are very small and older so not our style...but if you wanted to stay how about a roll away? That just sucks paying all the money.

I would call general manager and explain what you need and why and the hotel has special meaning and see if they can help problem solve.
    That part has been done and they will remove the bed frame upon request, but I will check out the hotels you mentioned.

Bed height is not an issue for us because my Wife can help me transfer from my power chair, so for us is more room size in San Francisco.
    You know other people do seem to have less problems than me and I find that strange. I actually have some leg muscles (C5 incomplete) and I'm able to stand if I have grab bars. I think maybe some of the problem comes from being short, I'm 5'6" and I've come across some beds that even if I got help to stand, my butt wouldn't be above the mattress. I also keep the seat of my electric chair on the lowest possible setting, so it's easier to transfer from my manual chair into the electric.

Thanks for all the other information, I never even hear of Uber Wav.

btw - how did your chair handle the hills around the Mark Hopkins

Take care

I last visited San Francisco in June, stayed at the Loews Regency. My issue with the bed was needing one that was not a platform style bed to accommodate my lift. While the original bed would not work, they figured out a configuration that would work with my lift. If that hadn't worked, they were willing to order a frame that would work.

A few notes on some of my experiences. I wouldn't assume that all streets are accessible b/c of using a powerchair. Some of them are downright steep. I managed, but I imagine if I needed to stop, the chair would keep moving.

Regarding the F-line, of the two times I visited, I was able to ride it one time. If the trolley is full, they do not stop at the accessible stops.