Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Cushion ???.....

Car Cushion ???.....

So I have been borrowing a friends Roho QS910LPC cushion for driving. Just found out he will be needing it back. Now this cushion has served its purpose and I would hate to spend $357 on a new one for myself.
    My question is, what other cushions are comparable?
    I have zero sensation on my butt and have had many skin issues. That's why I need a cushion to drive. It has to stay very thin like the Roho now or I won't fit in my car. 6'3" tall is why.

Thanks
    Ed

Blog Entries
    $350 is a small price to pay for a cushion that works (as well as a properly maintained Roho). There is nothing as effective at that thickness, IMO, as a low profile Quattro, that is any cheaper. Some people find the Stimulite Sport a good alternative, in a thin cushion, but it is every bit as expensive. Your butt deserves it. Going 'cheap' on a cushion is asking for trouble!! (The Stimulite Sport maybe be a tad bit cheaper, depending on the source, but it might not allow for the same immersion if you have a bony butt.)
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Blog Entries
    I've been using the same 2inch thick memory foam pad since 2002. NEVER had an issue as vehicle seats tend to distribute your weight better than wheelchairs. I am 6'2" and weigh about 125lbs., skin and bones lol. I had major issues with pressure sore years ago. I drive long distances and even camp/sleep overnight in my vehicles, without problems. When I go out on a cold morning, it is hard as a rock but quickly warms after your butt gets on it. Get the higher density ones, they are rated by lbs density like mattresses. My neice found it for me waaaay back when she was touring a tempur-pedic factory for college, they gave it to her for free after she piped up and said my uncle needs one of those. I also used it on my handcycle for about a month, until I got caught in a thunderstorm/downpour for a couple hours. I used rohos after that for handcycles. Rain did not harm it in any way. I have long since wore away the cover that came with it and just the thin cotton mesh covers it for the last few years. WHEN I think of it, I bring it in in winter, as I can hear the skin grinding on my bony butt when I first hop on it. I used to worry about it at first, took a mirror and checked my butt after varying length drives in the beginning. No redness ever showed up.
    I am anal about protecting my butt too, pardon the pun

If you remember Nick, I'm the one that had posted pictures of my 4 year saga with a tunneling wound on my butt, many failed flap surgeries, wound vac, osteomyelitis, etc. From 2004 to 2007. With the seats extending under your legs farther and the reclining positions of the seat back, I surmised this is why this works so well. I used a 2 chamber 4 inch roho through that ordeal though.
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 10-12-2016 at 12:12 PM.

If only minimal cushioning is needed atop a car seat, then you may benefit from using the SupraSeat Stimulite cushion by Supracor. The SupraSeat Stimulite cushion is approximately 0.7 inches thick and can be obtained for $97. Due to its minimal thickness and honeycomb structure, the SupraSeat is; in many cases, exactly what is needed for use atop a typical cushioned automobile seat. The SupraSeat cushion - alone - is absolutely inadequate for use as a wheelchair cushion.

"... anal about protecting my butt ..." - good one CapnGimp

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    $350 is a small price to pay for a cushion that works (as well as a properly maintained Roho). There is nothing as effective at that thickness, IMO, as a low profile Quattro, that is any cheaper. Some people find the Stimulite Sport a good alternative, in a thin cushion, but it is every bit as expensive. Your butt deserves it. Going 'cheap' on a cushion is asking for trouble!! (The Stimulite Sport maybe be a tad bit cheaper, depending on the source, but it might not allow for the same immersion if you have a bony butt.)
    Thanks for the reply. The reason I'm looking for something comparable is because I just dished out $1,800 on a custom molded Ride Design Java cushion along with the Java back. (Two separate pieces)
    Just looking to pinch a few Abrahams now. But if I have to, I will purchase one for $357.
    I paid out of pocket for the Java because my wheelchair is a titanium polished TiLite ZR with all the bells and whistles. Ordered off Sportaid by me back in 2008. Insurance doesn't recognize my chair and wil not cover parts for it. I'm dealing with a sore currently and have been over a year now. It was stage IV. Had flap done and it failed in a small area. Now it developed a small tunnel in beginning of September, and the Java is what is saving me. It's completely offloaded and healing finally. My old Roho high-profile Quattro is what made it worse. I no longer map well on one at all.

Blog Entries
    Cool. Well, Stimulite is where I went after Rohos stopped working for me and I've been really happy with their performance.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp View Post
    I've been using the same 2inch thick memory foam pad since 2002. NEVER had an issue as vehicle seats tend to distribute your weight better than wheelchairs. I am 6'2" and weigh about 125lbs., skin and bones lol. I had major issues with pressure sore years ago. I drive long distances and even camp/sleep overnight in my vehicles, without problems. When I go out on a cold morning, it is hard as a rock but quickly warms after your butt gets on it. Get the higher density ones, they are rated by lbs density like mattresses. My neice found it for me waaaay back when she was touring a tempur-pedic factory for college, they gave it to her for free after she piped up and said my uncle needs one of those. I also used it on my handcycle for about a month, until I got caught in a thunderstorm/downpour for a couple hours. I used rohos after that for handcycles. Rain did not harm it in any way. I have long since wore away the cover that came with it and just the thin cotton mesh covers it for the last few years. WHEN I think of it, I bring it in in winter, as I can hear the skin grinding on my bony butt when I first hop on it. I used to worry about it at first, took a mirror and checked my butt after varying length drives in the beginning. No redness ever showed up.
    I am anal about protecting my butt too, pardon the pun

If you remember Nick, I'm the one that had posted pictures of my 4 year saga with a tunneling wound on my butt, many failed flap surgeries, wound vac, osteomyelitis, etc. From 2004 to 2007. With the seats extending under your legs farther and the reclining positions of the seat back, I surmised this is why this works so well. I used a 2 chamber 4 inch roho through that ordeal though.
    Yes I remember your sore saga Capt. I'm going thru the same. Had a sore that turned stage IV quickly on left side back in 2014. Wound vac did nothing. Flap surgery needed. Had hat. Then was given MRSA by all places Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago. Just about best hospital in entire Midwest. Long battle with antibiotics and PICC line. Many months actually. Went to close again with flap. Guess what. It failed again. Finally got it to close naturally.
    Get back to life and bam. Get a sore on right trochanter. Had surgery way earlier this year and it failed. Sore is still opened now and has a small tunnel. But that is all changing now. I was custom molded on a Ride Design Java. Cushion is a major life saver. I had them throw in a new backrest as well.
    Shit part. I dished out $1,800 for all of it. (See my reply above explaining why)
    I was hoping another cushion may be comparable to a Roho Low-Profile just to save $357.
    But it is what it is. If I have that route only, then that's what I will do. It's better than having more sores develop.
    I'm 6'2" as well but around 175lbs. I have a very strong upper body.

Ok. I will do some researching on them and see what they are all about. Thanks.

Capt'n:
    I had thought about a firmer/denser piece of foam as well. When I had my conversion van a few years back the seats were so luxurious and I never had any pressure. Sure wish my car was same way. The seats are like a glorified milk crate. Ha!
    You're all healed up w/o any problems now, right?