Thread: New to having a suprapubic catheter and pain

New to having a suprapubic catheter and pain

I had a suprapubic catheter done back on Sept 22, 2016, along with having my ovaries & Fallopian tubes removed. I'm BRCA1 positive (high female cancer risk gene) and had those removed for prophylactic reasons. Anyways, I've done awesome up until last Thursday, Oct 13. I went for a mammogram Wednesday, Oct 12, and being a quadriplegic, I get it done from my wheelchair. I also need and wear an abdominal binder while sitting up. So, it pressed and rubbed against the suprapubic tube area while leaning forward and doing the mammogram.

I have hurt bad in the abdominal area since. The AD was barely controllable it was so bad at a couple of points. The stoma had and still looks good except for finding fresh dried blood last Thursday and an almost black, hard, crystal like discharge from the stoma. I've not had any fever. I also had some abdominal swelling last Thursday, but it seems to be going away now.

I was just wondering if you all think this all could be just from me overdoing things before I'd healed enough? ...or is this suprapubic catheter going to always hurt me like this at random moments? ...or something else I haven't considered? ...and do you think it's normal for healing to take this long?

Thanks,
    Melin

It takes several months for the tract to epithelialize (heal) and it should not be as easy to bleed/bruise at that time however, it may still be more sensitive and can become more easily irritated.
    CWO

If you had the supra pubic placed on Sept. 23, it hasn't been a month, and I assume you haven't had your first catheter change. Most urologists do the first catheter change in their offices and teach patients and/or an attendant how to change their own catheters for subsequent monthly replacements.

Search Care Cure Community for Poiesis Duette catheters to read user opinions on a different style than catheters that are usually placed. It has two balloons to inflate inside the bladder with drainage eyelets placed between the balloons. Users report that it is a more comfortable catheter than the typical style of foley catheter. You can contact Poiesis (http://www.poiesismedical.com/products/duette/) and request free samples. Many urologists are not familiar with this new catheter, so it might be a good idea to become familiar with and maybe even have a sample of the catheter to take to your change appointment.

Are you using anything to anchor the catheter tubing to your abdomen/leg to help keep the catheter from sliding in and out of the stoma. This "pistoning" action can cause irritation to the stoma.

All the best,
    GJ

I'm booked to have my urologist change my catheter for the first 2 changes. I've already learned about this catheter. I wouldn't mind trying it out, but how big does it go? I'm using a 20fr at the moment.

Thanks,
    Melin

QUOTE=gjnl;1813250]If you had the supra pubic placed on Sept. 23, it hasn't been a month, and I assume you haven't had your first catheter change. Most urologists do the first catheter change in their offices and teach patients and/or an attendant how to change their own catheters for subsequent monthly replacements.

Search Care Cure Community for Poiesis Duette catheters to read user opinions on a different style than catheters that are usually placed. It has two balloons to inflate inside the bladder with drainage eyelets placed between the balloons. Users report that it is a more comfortable catheter than the typical style of foley catheter. You can contact Poiesis (http://www.poiesismedical.com/products/duette/) and request free samples. Many urologists are not familiar with this new catheter, so it might be a good idea to become familiar with and maybe even have a sample of the catheter to take to your change appointment.

Are you using anything to anchor the catheter tubing to your abdomen/leg to help keep the catheter from sliding in and out of the stoma. This "pistoning" action can cause irritation to the stoma.

All the best,
    GJ[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think it is a shame that your urologist placed a 20Fr supra public catheter from the start. In my opinion placing a 16Fr first and then working up from there, if you have to, is better practice. I started out with a 16Fr and 6 years later am still using a 16Fr without difficulty. The Duette catheter comes in 14Fr, 16Fr, and 18Fr. I've read that Poiesis may introduce a 20Fr. soon. Since your supra pubic is so new and the tissues haven't healed completely, I don't think you'd have any problem stepping down to an 18Fr Duette. It all depends how tolerant your physician is to change and innovation.

All the best,
    GJ

QUOTE=kmelinda;1813262]I'm booked to have my urologist change my catheter for the first 2 changes. I've already learned about this catheter. I wouldn't mind trying it out, but how big does it go? I'm using a 20fr at the moment.

Thanks,
    Melin

QUOTE=gjnl;1813250]If you had the supra pubic placed on Sept. 23, it hasn't been a month, and I assume you haven't had your first catheter change. Most urologists do the first catheter change in their offices and teach patients and/or an attendant how to change their own catheters for subsequent monthly replacements.

All the best,
    GJ[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]