Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The great cashew butter incident

The great cashew butter incident

Always a new adventure, I found myself in a food avalanche this morning with cashew butter. Still cleaning up.

My girlfriend wanted me to try cashew butter and got me a jar. It's the Trader Joes stuff, not processed. This means the oil is on top and the whole thing pretty runny, like soup, even after you stir it up. In my powerchair I had my food tray on my lap with the jar of butter (top off) and everything else and I must have leaned back or forward, I don't know, it was all a runny blur. Catastrophe. The jar tipped and fell on the tray, on my left leg, on to my cushion and stopped stuck in the side of my frame but still dripping some cashew butter on the floor too.

It was on my shirt, shorts, arms, fingers and enjoying it's freedom from the jar, still spreading.

Use a wheelchair and turn anything simple into a theater production. What a clean up!

I am interested in food tray recommendations. I am using a restaurant style servers tray and it has a good grip and a lip but I have spilled waaay too many times. Anyone have ideas on food trays that have compartments or something that helps keep a bowl in the center and a drink from rolling over when I move the chair? I already use that spongy cabinet grippy stuff to keep things from sliding but I want to figure out if there is a way to move with things and keep them from tipping over on the tray. I keep my seat tilted so the tray isn't really flat, so I start with that handicap but if I also shift in my seat or god forbid move from one room to another, the spill gremlins are tenting their fingers.

So, anyone think they have a way to keep cashew butter, soup, water ... from going rogue?

Off to the laundry now to move this morning from the washer to the dryer. My Roho, scrubbed, is drying by the window.

A new doctor asked me what I do with my days. They have no idea.

Blog Entries
    I have a good picture in my mind, you won't have to post photos, lol. I have wanted to try cashew butter but haven't found it in the stores I shop at. Nearest trader Joe's is in Knoxville and I'm in Newport, TN. I drive to Aldi's on the far side of Morristown, down hwy 160 for the majority of food I get. I am a natural peanut butter user, so I know about the aggravation of oil suspended on top. I am at the point I may use a wood (paddle shaped) drill bit and use it like a mixer the next time I get a jar. It's like they put the hard pack on the bottom an pour the oil on top. Arrrr! May just go to store an get some now that I'm thinking about it. My problem is I have only recently found breads with no glyphosate in them. I went breadless a long time, that's hard for me. Did the non-gmo, organic corn chips for my bread.
    How did/what did you usae in the washing machine for the oil removal, your normal detergent or prewash with dawn dishsoap? I usually do that when I have a lot of oil or grease. I have a HE washer and ain't takin' any chances with that costly mo'sheen.
    As for tray ideas, I try to drive to the place I want to eat at, usually outside in the yard soaking up the sun, and try not to move. But you have set me to thinking about wooden or foam forms to fit the bowl/jar/cup etc and dropping it into holes drilled into my tray. I have a cheap round metal tray that I sit in my lap, my sister bought for me over ten years ago. Just repainted it this spring with a partially used in the late 1980s can of white spray paint! I had used it years ago(about 1/3) on something and my mom had put it in the barn for storage with a lot of my stuff in late 89 when I moved to Houston. Surprised as heck that it worked without a hitch!
    We might have to make a cradle to swivel support a high top/deep bowl for liquids when moving. Lets barnstorm and see what we can come up with. I'll build it and test it if you can't. Honestly, I just hadn't thought a lot about solutions, just gave in and compromised at the beginning, sad. Glad you brought this up. Maybe a two- level tray that you drop the containers into. The added height just means less spills on your clothes, that's my problem, I have to change shirts lol.
    I spend too many hours, sweep, blowing, vacuuming, mopping mud, dirt, water... I dread the season change, mostly because of the cold, rain and mud. Maybe that is why I gave up on tray solutions long ago

Capn, interesting ideas on the tray. I wonder if some great idea will just occur to me. To answer your question about the laundry, you gotta understand I was in panic clean up mode and, I don't know anything about washing clothes except to put them in and take them out. So I just used my normal detergent and didn't do any pre-soak. I think that shirt may be gone forever, but I can experiment to see if I can bring it back.

I would love a tray that would let me insert a bowl, or dish, into a shape that held them. Same for a bottle. But I also need it to be washable. So basically I don't know if something like this could exist but after decades of problems, I think this recent mess has me feeling fed up and finally wanting a real solution. Trays for regular eating (no wheelchair) are what I've always used and they've never quite worked. Man what a mess yesterday was. I've spilled all sorts of things and nothing has been like oily sticky nut butter. Geez that reminds me, I think I still have a cherry pit stuck in my chair and I can't remember the last time I've eaten cherries. Powerchairs are not designed for easy clean up.

Hm, just had a funny image of a pyramid shaped thing with a hole for a drink or bottle. No way that would tip over. How would I clean something like that? Sometimes the simplest solution is to just accept if you go fishing you are going to get wet - eat while in your chair and it's going to get a little messy.

I get my cashew butter at a local Sprouts or Whole Foods instead of the TJ's brand. About the same price, but doesn't appear to separate as much. You could just have someone (family, PCA) remove the butter from the jar and put into another container with a lid that you could mix and dispense more easily. I don't keep mine in the refrigerator after opening the container because I go through it pretty fast. You could experiment with one of those "fill it yourself" toothpaste type tubes for food items for backpacking that I have seen at REI. You could squeeze or mash it to mix and dispense with less mess I would expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aZAxMShh8o

https://www.rei.com/product/696007/c...s-package-of-2

(KLD)

These gizmos replace the original jar lid with one that has a stirring crank or knob:

http://witmerproducts.com/pbutter.html

I've got one of those trays with a big bean bag thing under it that conforms to my legs when its on my lap. I also cut a rectangle of rubber made shelf liner to fit the top...it keeps stuff from sliding around.

Ditto to willingtocope. That works well for me. The bean bag under the lap desk makes it dramatically more stable and easy to level than a simple tray in my lap. I also use the non-skid shelf liner but have considered adding some 3-dimensional aids to stabilize food containers. It would be easy to choose a couple of Tupperware sizes and glue or Velcro them to the tray top, but I've always decided that they would be in the way when I tried to carry larger items.

Quote Originally Posted by 2drwhofans View Post
    These gizmos replace the original jar lid with one that has a stirring crank or knob:

http://witmerproducts.com/pbutter.html
    Cool! Never saw these before. I will have to look into getting one (or both)!

(KLD)

Might this work? Do a search for ezpz silicon place mat (I would post link but I'm doing this wo my glasses). For kids, but u could possibly put it on your lap tray to hold/carry stuff. They have a bowl, plate, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by willingtocope View Post
    I've got one of those trays with a big bean bag thing under it that conforms to my legs when its on my lap. I also cut a rectangle of rubber made shelf liner to fit the top...it keeps stuff from sliding around.
    Lots of great ideas. I think I already use the rubber shelf liner stuff and it's good for stopping things sliding around. I think I may have to try the beanbag tray. My big concern though is once I do tip something over that it doesn't spill off the tray and all over me. It would be even better to figure a way to keep things from falling over. I wonder what endo is using (3-dimensional aids)