Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey Buddy!

I'm just having some fun.

I was torn between the Skipper and Gilligan (Little Buddy) and the Gene Wilder pictures.

Blog Entries
    That is what I call a dude when I don't know their name. I have used different things at different times in my life, when I am annoyed at a stupid action that has caused me trouble/been generally harmful, I use 'yo slick' with a definite bad ring to it. People didn't generally offer me help up until the last couple of years, I used to move a lot faster. Today I was offered help 3 times in rapid succession putting my chair in the truck after filling up with gas. I just tell them, "naah, I got it, I just make it look hard to get sympathy, thank you anyway" with a laugh.
    It all balances out though...when I blow past a car on the road in which the driver is still searching for the gas pedal, I often get the signal that they think I'm number one. I'm thinking about putting a scrolling led light panel in my back window that says "Need help finding your gas pedal buddy?"
    I take it as a sign that there are truly compassionate people left in this self-centered world...gives me hope.

^^^^^ me at the grocery store every time. I'll admit I have a huge chip on my shoulder. I despise help. It implies I'm incapable. This is my cross to bear, my own feelings of inadequacy. So be it. It's my stupid Irish pride that makes me both detested and revered.

Nowadays I've given up and accept the pity. I realize it's that persons' way of trying to feel good about themselves by trying to help others. It has been discussed here in the past - a lot of times the "help" is more of a hinderence because as soon as you finish thanking them and finally getting them to leave you need to re-do whatever it is they've done in order for you to be able to unload groceries/wheelchair/etc. when you get home. I used to attempt to explain to people, but that just takes more time out of my day and only makes them feel worse about themselves as they're trying to do something to improve their self-worth.

I got told when I got hurt - "be nice, you represent all cripples". That is such horseshit. Do all guys wearing ball-caps represent every other guy wearing a ball-cap? Do all blondes speak for every other blonde? No. We are all individuals. In the small-ish bedroom community I live in I'm one of maybe 5 younger males in a wheelchair. After 5 years here most people leave me be, knowing I'm far less of a prick when I'm left alone. Again, my cross to bear.

oddity used the term "prickly". I like that description.
    Last edited by tooley; 10-10-2016 at 02:48 AM. Reason: sleepy, spelling errors

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    And/So?

All the best,
    GJ
    You brought me a brain named Abby Normal??!!!

The best "hey buddy" ever

Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    Several times a month I experience all kinds of different people, saying "Hey buddy" to me in a somewhat condescending and charitable tone. Is it just me or do other SCI'd males experience the same thing?

The context is:
    Hey buddy let me get that door for you
    Hey buddy how are you doing?
    Hey what happened to you buddy?
    I can check you out over here buddy
    Hey do you need some help with that buddy?

I never respond verbally I just tend to look them in the eye after the unsolicited comment.
    I don't have an SCI but I get this all the time. In the last 21 years I can't count how many. The other day at Trader Joe's the cashier said,"Hey buddy, let me get that for you." as he stretched and leaned over and trying to grab my card out of my hand so he could run it through. I actually had to hold on to it with some strength to keep it. I told him I could use the card myself, thank you. He was so offended, huffed and puffed and said in such a victimized tone that he was just trying to help. I thought the same thing I always do. Ask if I want help and then LISTEN to my answer.

You are not alone.

This thread went in an unexpected direction. I introduced a very narrow observation and those that replied enriched it in an interesting way. Perhaps my question needs to be more holistic. What social experiences should we let get to us (if any)? Maybe instead of letting unsolicited offers and how to deal with them weight us down perhaps we should have well thought out responses ready to go that are gracious, only take a few seconds to say and sincerely utilize (other's) extra energy that (let's face it) all of us could actually use (if you buy into Spoon Theory).

A few months ago a guy in the grocery store said, "Can I give you a hand old timer?" I barely restrained myself from calling him a young whipper snapper. Seriously, I could care less, after 46 years of wheeling around it just rolls off my crippled back.

I understand the "hey buddy" remark, and wonder the same thing myself because this can come as belittling, as if your 10 or 11 years old. When this happens to me, I try to see if this same person replies to a non-crippy person with "Hey buddy".
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    What social experiences should we let get to us (if any)? Maybe instead of letting unsolicited offers and how to deal with them weight us down perhaps we should have well thought out responses ready to go that are gracious, only take a few seconds to say and sincerely utilize (other's) extra energy that (let's face it) all of us could actually use (if you buy into Spoon Theory).
    Great question! I just know I am learning to save my spoons for when I really need them. Had never heard the Theory before. Like it!

Yo Slick...would definitely get my attention Capn...lol.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete