Thread: How can we support research for a cure?

How can we support research for a cure?

I've been thinking about what I want to do with my life, and more than anything else I would like to see a world without paralysis. But I don't think I have what it takes to be a researcher, so I thought that I could be someone who supports researchers; like if I started some non-profit foundation to aid in research for the cure. But then I realized that there are already organizations like that, so I want to know what I can do to find these organizations and help them in whatever way I can. So now I am here asking you guys to give me any information you might have on good organizations that are out there, and any ideas on what I can do to support them.
    I was injured 2 weeks after my 16th birthday on June 14th, 2004. My level of injury is C5 complete, but I can move my wrist.

My screen name comes from the movie The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

The public needs to be educated that it's not as easy as sitting down and getting good parking spots (when available).
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

www.u2fp.org is a fantastic organization that is solely focused on curing SCI. There are a lot of awesome resources on their web site that could inform you of hor to support a movement for a cure. Their yearly conference, Working 2 Walk, is one of the things that motivated me to go back to school and become a researcher myself.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsonite View Post
    www.u2fp.org is a fantastic organization that is solely focused on curing SCI. There are a lot of awesome resources on their web site that could inform you of hor to support a movement for a cure. Their yearly conference, Working 2 Walk, is one of the things that motivated me to go back to school and become a researcher myself.
    The down side of www.u2fp.org or even www.christopherreeve.org is that lots of major corporations will match gifts to universities, but not charities. So, a gift to Rutgers or Case Western gets matched while charities are not. Regardless, donations to any of the research projects is the easiest way to support the cause.

However, if all 250,000 SCIs in the US wrote one letter (real paper letter mailed in an envelope) to their Congressman/woman, that would certainly get the most noticed. But, alas, that requires effort, and on the whole, we are a lazy bunch of whiners.

Finally, I think this thread is in the wrong forum.

Luckily the major corporation that I'm affiliated with has matched all of my donations dollar for dollar going to u2fp.org. One really needs to check on matching gifts with your respective corporation. If you're wanting to fund a specific project, oftentimes u2fp has been able to negotiate more of your dollars going directly into the SCI project.