Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Living Room/Kitchen Flooring?

Suggestions for Living Room/Kitchen Flooring?

I need to rip out carpet in our living room and replace it with some kind of laminate. Also thinking about having it continue on into the dining room and kitchen. It needs to be durable for the power chair. Real wood or ceramic tile are most likely too expensive. Linoleum would probably look cheap in the living room. There is in-floor heat, so the floors aren't perfectly smooth. What would you use?

laminate.........most durable cheapest way to go for chairs......love my floor.....never wear it out....

Thanks for your reply. What kind/brand of laminate did you choose? Did they glue it down?

Quote Originally Posted by beatscookin View Post
    There is in-floor heat, so the floors aren't perfectly smooth. What would you use?
    If you want to get floors level there are some 'floor leveling compounds' out there that are reasonably priced and pretty easy to apply.

If you're interested do a google search for "floor leveler".

Good luck. Getting some work done in my house. Its a PIA having contractors coming in and out but feels great to have things take shape and get a fresh look.

Get a quality laminate .... mine is picking up on the corners installed after 10yrs. Really need new floor coverings ... bamboo maybe next.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/luxury-vinyl.html

Scroll down and check out the vinyl planks. Luxury vinyl planks can look really good if done correctly. If any of the planks get damaged you can peel them up individually to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Tman9513 View Post
    http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/luxury-vinyl.html

Scroll down and check out the vinyl planks. Luxury vinyl planks can look really good if done correctly. If any of the planks get damaged you can peel them up individually to replace.
    Looks nice and I like the idea of removing individual planks to replace. We do that now with the carpet squares that the powerchair stains. I either replace them or wash them and put them right back down. The carpet squares we use are from www.flor.com.

I am having vinyl planks commercial grade put in my bathroom this weekend I can let you know how well they work out but they look just like wood floors and ada compliant.

We put vinyl planking in...glue down and not clip together. Still looks good after a year of a power wheelchair rolling on it.
    www.earthwerks.com

handibob, where did you find the commercial grade vinyl planks?

We tried a vinyl tile floating floor product called CorTec. First time they put it down it was "peaking." The floor store told us it was a defective batch and we had to wait several weeks for an inspector to come out to verify in order to get them to send new product so they could re-do it. Upon further advice from CorTec, they recommended glueing down the 2nd batch, which we did, but that also was peaking immediately after installation. So our floor store had enough of that and removed the whole CorTec line from their store. Awful product!

Now we're considering a laminate called Quickstep Modello:
    http://us.quick-step.com/our-product...tch-oak-planks
    The only issue is the transition strips that go in between rooms are about 1.25" higher from the rest of the floor. I feel them every time I go over them and have to slow down. What a pain! Has anyone found a better solution to this?