Thread: New bed

New bed

so my doctor ordered a new full electric bed. The DME called me today and say they will not order the bed my doctor ordered. So here's the question can a DME not do special orders? & if so why not. My insurance approved it. The doctor ordered a joerns ultra care xt. The DME is fighting it and says they will provide me a drive bed only. Should I contact my insurance and let them know what is going on?

It sounds like your DME does not have a relationship with Joerns. I would try another DME.
    Online Spinlife carries it and I believe they work with insurance. Could be hell trying to get it set up though.

Quote Originally Posted by randomryan007 View Post
    so my doctor ordered a new full electric bed. The DME called me today and say they will not order the bed my doctor ordered. So here's the question can a DME not do special orders? & if so why not. My insurance approved it. The doctor ordered a joerns ultra care xt. The DME is fighting it and says they will provide me a drive bed only. Should I contact my insurance and let them know what is going on?
    From what you present in your comments, absolutely get more information about the decision provided to you by your durable medical equipment supplier. This durable medical supplier may be interpreting what your insurance will cover above and beyond what your doctor ordered. The thing is most doctors don't have a clue what is covered under every insurance coverage. Your doctor may have ordered something that is not even remotely covered by the type of insurance your have. You need to understand the difference. Just because a doctor writes an order for a particular piece of equipment doesn't mean you insurance company covers it.

Study up.

All the best,
    GJ

The DME said that they will only be carring basic DME equipment and will no longer be doing special orders. 8 am not sure what is going on with that.

Don't know if matters or not. But our DME usually delivers what doctor orders on Powerchairs and most other equipment: make/model and etc.
    But, last full electric bed I ended up with a Drive. My old bed was that, old and not working so DME did all paperwork with doctor. I just figured be same as my old bed til it was delivered.
    When got insurance invoice it was only a simple description. Think it said Hospital Bed, extra wide, Heavy Duty, Powered: head, foot.
    Mattress was same, too. It met the same description of what was ordered but not same brand/model that old one was.
    I figured DME just ordered from whichever company they had best deal with and that's what I got. Or might be part of that competitive bidding thing. I just figured my old bed the height adjustment was broken and the new one was here.
    "Good Luck!"

Find another DME. This one is not going to be a good resource for you for any of your DME requirements. There are plenty of them out there looking for your business.

(KLD)