Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever get annoyed listening to "able-bodied problems"

Blog Entries
    I find it a work out not to allow myself to be annoyed by whining in general, from the AB or the disabled. Whining is whining. Put up, shut up, or ask for help. Life is only but so complicated. Made all the more needlessly so by complaining about it. Victim is as victim does.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

"able-bodied" problems. I get annoyed at people who consider themselves "disabled" and whine about how hard their life is but have a level of heath I would kill for. Some are on this site, which irritates me even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarafino View Post
    I feel like this a lot, even though I know everything is relative. For some reason people see me as someone understanding and want to dump all their AB problems on me. Outwardly I try to be caring but inside I am seething. Because of this I prefer to not have AB friends. I do have a few though, and am married to an AB. It makes him sad that I can be this way and view his and other AB's problems as trivial. I am not saying I am right, it's not like I wake up every day and am thankful that I am not blind after all. I think a lot of feeling this way is because people can't relate to my problems so I end up just being a receptacle for their problems.
    Totally understand, then if you were to follow up and bring up something that's really been bothering you for example like nonstop chronic infections because of your catheter had a very high pressured relentless neurogenic bladder and antibiotic resistance is starting to become a serious problem; multiple different doctors not being able to help much etc. The room just go to awkward silence and wide eyes, like you just shit on the table "oh my I'm so sorry" immediately change back to shaken a stick about price of gas, boredom at work, trouble with sex life etc. It just seems so trivial.

But in actuality I would never say anything I don't want to direct the spotlight to myself even for a second; have no desire to make people feel stupid… unless I think it was going to benefit them like motivate them. But I also can't contribute to the subject because now I don't really see these trivial things The same way, so say my dog tears apart something I don't have the usual standard really thought of "oh no now I have to clean this mess up and then replace it" no in that situation all I see is "fuck I can't physically do anything about this I can't clean it up so I'm going to have to drive around it, and then like a useless Twatt I'm going to have to ask my caregiver or someone able-bodied to do it" much more extreme and would just be awkward to bring to the conversation!
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 10-02-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    "able-bodied" problems. I get annoyed at people who consider themselves "disabled" and whine about how hard their life is but have a level of heath I would kill for. Some are on this site, which irritates me even more.
    Here, here (but in serious I'm sorry to hear that man, for some the body just responds to paralysis horribly wrong, health spiralling out of control with multiple different issues and doctors not even be able to diagnose let alone treat the even the more "simplistic" less dangerous/ miserable problems like unexplainable shoulder/ tendon damage)
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 10-02-2016 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I find it a work out not to allow myself to be annoyed by whining in general, from the AB or the disabled. Whining is whining. Put up, shut up, or ask for help. Life is only but so complicated. Made all the more needlessly so by complaining about it. Victim is as victim does.
    Look there^^^, we have a human being that doesn't whine truly one-of-a-kind. Sadly such a creature doesn't exist, but you can pretend to be The exception if The act makes ya feel cool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Look there^^^, we have a human being that doesn't whine truly one-of-a-kind. Sadly such a creature doesn't exist, but you can pretend to be The exception if The act makes ya feel cool
    I didn't say I didn't whine, I said it was hard not to be annoyed by it. Feel free to attack me personally, though, if it makes ya feel cool.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I didn't say I didn't whine, I said it was hard not to be annoyed by it. Feel free to attack me personally, though, if it makes ya feel cool.
    No personal attack was given, it's just a common stance you take to indirectly mock "whiners" Afterwhile the tone of your writing and perspective you take exhibits the "my shit doesn't stinks" attitude that's inevitable. Everybody wines man, human could be sitting on a pile of gold and still whining about something. But there's a lot of situations in the most severe of situations where life is substantially complicated and there is nothing available to uncomplicate it, in fact in these cases usually seems to get more complicated with time. These scenarios I cannot personally call complaining "whining" as it's completely rational, almost necessary. I consider whining complaining about something that is very overlookable , Not of importance not a substantial kind of thing. I realize the most substantial of problems a human can find themselves with are completely permanent in every sense of the word, not just every day of the year, but every second of every day with a substantial impact on every little detail until they're dead. The more trivial problems tend to be temporary.

I don't know, I think my issues are pretty big to me, but they're nothing compared to a higher level injury. So when my buddy tells me his close call, thought he may of had cancer, and it changed his life, while puffing on a marlboro, I want to call bullshit, but realize to him that was the worst medical thing he's had to face. To him thats the top of the bar, so each of are pains to us, are top of the bar. My wife shoulders get knotted up, she's lived with this her whole life, to her this is extremely painful and is the top of her bar. Does that even make sense?

How disabled should you be, to be on this site? Compared to you, I'm superman. But that doesn't mean I don't have SCI issues. I thought we were here to help each other. What do you say T-8, chair only?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lonecoaster View Post
    How disabled should you be, to be on this site? Compared to you, I'm superman. But that doesn't mean I don't have SCI issues. I thought we were here to help each other. What do you say T-8, chair only?
    I think the mission of this site is pretty clear. Turning people away is dicky, not advocating that, but SCI is SCI, whatever the flavor.

James: my shit doesn't stink as much as others, more than some. Doesn't affect whether what I say is true.