Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wings for Life - Supported research

Wings for Life - Supported research

What do you think of the research supported by Wings for Life, see here: http://www.wingsforlife.com/en/research/

They are by far the spinal cord injury research foundation that get the most attention, and also handle quite some money.

Personally they don't support my favourite projects. What do you think?
    Debating on CareCure is like participating in the special-olympics. You may win, but you're still disabled.

From the map they have, it appears they are funding 137 projects, broken up into 7 different categories...
    Why are none of them "your favorite"? What aren't they funding that you wish they would?

I think they do great job and each organization supports different projects which I think is very good by attacking from many different angles.

Ok, I may sounded to negative. Absolutely, they do a great job!

They do work aimed at acute injuries and also they don't seem to support much clinical studies aimed at regeneration.
    Last edited by void; 09-29-2016 at 07:12 AM.
    Debating on CareCure is like participating in the special-olympics. You may win, but you're still disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by void View Post
    Ok, I may sounded to negative. Absolutely, they do a great job!
    They do work aimed at acute injuries and also they don't seem to support much clinical studies aimed at regeneration.

http://www.wingsforlife.com/en/research/#research-projects

I think my computer loaded 53 funded projects under the "regeneration" category. Many of these basic studies would be relevant to both chronic and acute injury.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post

http://www.wingsforlife.com/en/research/#research-projects

I think my computer loaded 53 funded projects under the "regeneration" category. Many of these basic studies would be relevant to both chronic and acute injury.
    Yeah but I wrote clinical.
    You would not want them to support more human regeneration trials?
    Do you think ALL their supported projects are great?

As I said before not hating on them, they are great.

Yeah but I wrote clinical.

Yes, I had the "clinical studies" check marked for searching at their site.

You would not want them to support more human regeneration trials?

I don't know if any PI's affiliated with ongoing human clinical trials have actually sent them any grant requests for additional funds.

Do you think ALL their supported projects are great?

I'm nowhere near qualified to be on their Scientific Advisory Board judging feasibility of projects and scoring grant requests.

As I said before not hating on them, they are great.

For 2016 I think they are supporting 9 clinical trials. You should just have clinical studies checked or you will see all projects.

Among those 9 are there e.g. a study on pneumonia, for me that doesn't fit with the slogans.

Among those 9 are there e.g. a study on pneumonia, for me that doesn't fit with the slogans.
    The grant descriptions read ok but I'm not sure which slogan you're putting with which category. Are you talking about the basic individual research category or ATP?

Thumbs up

The grant descriptions read ok but I'm not sure which slogan you're putting with which category. Are you talking about the basic individual research category or ATP?

Our mission

Spinal Cord Injury must become curable

Wings for Life is a not-for-profit spinal cord research foundation. Our mission is to find a cure for spinal cord injury. We fund world-class scientific research and clinical trials around the globe aimed at healing the injured spinal cord.
    Support us in achieving our goal.

Everyone seem very content with their work, great to hear!