Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The great cashew butter incident

Quote Originally Posted by endo_aftermath View Post
    Ditto to willingtocope. That works well for me. The bean bag under the lap desk makes it dramatically more stable and easy to level than a simple tray in my lap. I also use the non-skid shelf liner but have considered adding some 3-dimensional aids to stabilize food containers. It would be easy to choose a couple of Tupperware sizes and glue or Velcro them to the tray top, but I've always decided that they would be in the way when I tried to carry larger items.
    What are the 3-dimensional aids? Maybe I could use something like that. I really want things to stop tipping over.

Quote Originally Posted by Podkane View Post
    Might this work? Do a search for ezpz silicon place mat (I would post link but I'm doing this wo my glasses). For kids, but u could possibly put it on your lap tray to hold/carry stuff. They have a bowl, plate, etc.

Thank you for the idea. This stuff looks really interesting. I think I will have to try and get to Bed Bath and Beyond and see this stuff in person. It might be a really good solution.

I have a similar problem. I find that tray sides are not tall enough, especially with a tall(er) drinking glass on the tray and this results in epic spills!

The only thing I can think with taller sides is a dishpan. I have a dishpan similar to this and they seem to work nicely, especially if something tips over. You could use towels or washcloths in the bin to 'stabilize' things before you move, plus you get a nice 'cloth napkin' to wipe your fingers or face off. My mom uses a walker with tray and the higher side dishpan may be something I suggest in the near future for her.

Walmart's kitchen dept also makes things similar to silverware holders, which have their own areas (but generally not for open-top cups). You could look at the counter organizer category.

We also have a rolling flat top cart with three shelves (sorry, we've had it for so long, I don't know where it came from or what it's called). Heavy duty metal wheels; not the cheap office chair casters. My mom uses this for all her office information and supplies, and then it can be wheeled to whatever room is quiet for her to do her work. I'm sure someone makes one in a height that is similar to a table on wheels so you could just push it to where you wanted it to be. The sides have a slight lip on them, but you may want to pay attention to what kinds of beverage cups you use as tall, skinny ones (or 'large' diameter / weight at top, and skinny areas on bottom) are still subject to falling in my experience. It only takes one wrong move and then you still have a mess to clean up... at least if a cup like that is in a dishpan, the more liquid that lands in the dishpan, the less mess I have to clean up everywhere else. And if it's 'blocked in' with a washcloth so it's less likely to tip, greater survival.

I also use closed top, wide bottom plastic bottles where I can (Nalgene bottles; Nalgene similar with straws in them from Target or Walmart) -- for daily water supply, and that helps.

Let us know what you figure out! Good luck!
    Mystery

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    What are the 3-dimensional aids? Maybe I could use something like that. I really want things to stop tipping over.
    I meant something other than simply a non-skid mat, something with depth to hold your food containers. Suppose you have a favorite drinking glass. You could find something--another larger cup, Tupperware, whatever--and attach that larger container to the tray. Then, if you set your drink in the glued-on cup, it could not tip.

I think endo is referring to what is generally called a toddler plate/placemat combination such as these:

http://www.ezpzfun.com/

(KLD)

As a result of your issue, Grommet, our household now has a jar of Jif Cashew Butter. And, life is better for it. (No oil on top). Maybe one day they will package it in a tube, like toothpaste, with an easy-access flip top.

Blog Entries
    It's hard to find REAL food in east TN. Few knowledgeable consumers, few stores that carry organics and non-gmo products. I get a handful of products from Amazon in bulk and from individual growers/sellers online. I guess I am going to have to find some cashew butter and order me a jar. Found a 21 organic grain/seed bread at Aldis a couple of months ago and I wanna' spread a little cashew butter on it!
    The mixer gadgets were good ideas, thanks for the posts!

Btw grommet, I bet your washing machine doesn't squeak anymore

Ezekiel bread in the frozen food area was recommended to me. It's tasty and lasts long since you can remove the day's portion and keep it in freezer.

I just put a large serving tray on my lap about 13 inches by 21 inches, it's a nice one with ceramic tiles with a picture of windmills at cape cod.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp View Post
    It's hard to find REAL food in east TN. Few knowledgeable consumers, few stores that carry organics and non-gmo products. I get a handful of products from Amazon in bulk and from individual growers/sellers online. I guess I am going to have to find some cashew butter and order me a jar. Found a 21 organic grain/seed bread at Aldis a couple of months ago and I wanna' spread a little cashew butter on it!
    The mixer gadgets were good ideas, thanks for the posts!

Btw grommet, I bet your washing machine doesn't squeak anymore
    That is funny :-)