Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handcycle Shimmy

Handcycle Shimmy

Hey I have a Freedom Ryder frh 1 and recently took it apart to transport it, but ever since I put it back together it's started to shimmy and I don't know why. If anybody can help me that would be great.

Do you have "quick release" rear wheels with your FR? I had FR with threaded axle wheels and had to be careful when re-installing them. Never took whole handcycle apart. There's that polymer black donut shaped thingie under the FR - the thing governing the leaning feature - did you check it?

No I will look into it. Thanks!

The FRH1 is not a lean steer to my knowledge it is a headset steer bike so the "black donut" thing will not be found. Does it shimmy all the time or at a certian speed? I feel sure the back wills are threaded and not quick release. Assuming the headset is properly tightened and there is no play in it and you have properly put the back wheels on right and they are properly tightened I would wonder if maybe your wheels may have gotten out of round... But if that were the case that you would be able to see that they are not true...IMO
    Last edited by djrolling; 09-26-2016 at 03:25 PM.

It shimmy's uphill and at higher speeds alot. It never did it before. I did make sure the center nut was tightened and I balanced the handlebars. Has this ever happened to you? It's pretty weird.

It has not happened to me you might want to PM Patrick Madisen he has 35 years of handcycling and owns one of the FRH-1s. I have the LC-1 which is a lean steer and have not had that problem. Is it the whole bike or the front end? It seems odd that it does it going up hill....

Nah, just the front end. I'll PM the guy. I bought a level and I'm gonna see if the front end isn't warped in some way, replaced the front tube, and a new front tire will show up here on Wednesday. I'm thinking about taking it completely apart and putting it together again. I did learn how to balance the derailleur though, so that was a plus. I'm gonna learn how to true the tires myself next, that way I'll be a little more self-sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsm2501 View Post
    . . . I'm gonna learn how to true the tires myself next, that way I'll be a little more self-sufficient.
    I have learned that Sheldon Brown's (RIP) website is an excellent source for learning about things bicycle related including truing wheels.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

TY. I looked at him before.

Blog Entries
    did you figure out what was causing the problem?